webVR fails on Microsoft Edge

• With a new Samsung Odyssey Windows Mixed Reality headset, one of the first things I tried was visiting 360Cities on the Edge browser; and I got a big disappointment. Same on Roundme.com and the krpano webVR demo page: no immersive image, just a black rectangle.

After selecting webVR mode one goes through these steps: MS portal asks permission to enable webVR; krpano displays hmd setup screen; MS portal asks permission to "go fullscreen"; then black screen. Double clicking the black screen brings up the "exit VR" widget which takes you back to 2D page.

Is this a known problem?

Does anyone have a work-around?

I have of course filed a complaint with Microsoft.

• Sorry, Klaus, I was wrong. Edge displays webVR material just fine, krpano panos better in fact than any other browser I have used. No trace of shimmer, and quite crisp, I think due to foveated rendering.

My problem was that I am running WMR on a laptop, which like all laptops has Intel Integrated Graphics, and also a strong nVidia GPU. Microsoft apps, including Edge, use the IIG by default. Switching Edge to the GPU with nVidia Control Panel brought webVR to life.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!