No fullscreen 360's with VR headsets?

• Hi.

I've just got myself a Gear VR / Samsung S8 to test krpano.

Within GVR, I can view the tours in the Samsung browser via the small window in front of me and was impressed that everything worked (hotspots, YouTube etc.) but when I click on the Enter VR button the view goes whacko.

Is there no way to view the tour in fullscreen mode as you would with the regular VR headset immersive experience?

I did find a solution online where you just view the tour on your regular phone browser first, set it to vr mode so you get the split screen and then put the phone into the GVR headset but don't insert the usb pin. That does work but you have to hold the phone in place with your hand otherwise it falls out. Also the hand pointer obviously doesn't work.

Thanks for any help. *thumbsup*

Andrew

Just wanted to add, I had a good go at the Unity3d - 360 Virtual Tour tutorial to see how that looked on the headset and although I thoroughly enjoyed trying new software it took ages just to make a 5 scene tour. Also the downward view looked a little crimpled / distorted so not sure what happened there.

Edited once, last by andrew22222 (December 16, 2018 at 1:10 AM).

• Hi,

I did find a solution online where you just view the tour on your regular phone browser first, set it to vr mode so you get the split screen and then put the phone into the GVR headset but don't insert the usb pin. That does work but you have to hold the phone in place with your hand otherwise it falls out. Also the hand pointer obviously doesn't work.

That's very outdated and before WebVR even existed...
    Today there are browsers with WebVR support available and krpano also supports WebVR.

Within GVR, I can view the tours in the Samsung browser via the small window in front of me and was impressed that everything worked (hotspots, YouTube etc.) but when I click on the Enter VR button the view goes whacko.

What means 'whacko'?
    Make sure your S8 and all GearVR software is up-to-date.
    The Samsung Internet browser has WebVR support, but the Oculus Browser is way better (performance and image-quality).

Best regards,
    Klaus

• My mistake Klaus *rolleyes*

I was creating the tour with MAKE VTOUR (MULTIRES) droplet.bat and when I click on the Enter VR button (inside GearVR on the browser page) then the 360 view is all mixed up.

I just tried it with MAKE VTOUR (VR-OPT) droplet.bat, uploaded the tour and viewed it and this time the 360 goes full screen when I click on Enter VR. Didn't realise I had to use this version of the droplet so will make adjustments to the new tour I'm creating.

Thanks for your time.

Andrew

• Hi,

no, both droplets will work, the VR-OPT only additionally creates optimized images for better performance.

What browser do you use and can you describe the 'all mixed up'?
    Maybe please also post a link to allow checking if the tour itself and all files there are correct.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,

After a little more checking I noticed that the Oculus browser is fine and looks / works fantastic. You can move the view around on the small screen or click on Enter VR for the full wrap around.

Oculus View

It's the Samsung VR browser that won't go Full VR and can only be viewed on the small browser window similar to the one above. If you do click on the Enter VR button then the view expands and is almost as if the 6 tiles are mixed up plus your view is restricted to an odd sort of window. I tried the different viewing methods that you can choose from the popup but they were all distorted so no luck.

Couldn't seem to find out what version of the Samsung Browser it is as there's no option under settings but the Oculus app appears to be fully up to date.

Here's the link to the online tour which I've already posted on a Flight Sim forum.

Website Link

I don't have a Rift / Vive etc. to check so can only go by what I see on the Samsung S8.

Cheers,

Andrew

• I got some some disappointing news this morning from a Rift user that took a look at the tour.

Sorry, but its not working correctly, here in the rift. The right eye has no image, and the bottom half of the left eye is also black.

On the monitor the mirror view appears fine, and the image moves correctly as you turn the headset.

Seems like he had a mirror view of the tour on the desktop monitor and it looked good but what he was actually seeing inside the headset was totally different.

Not really sure what to do as you kind of hope the default krpano droplets create something compatible with the mainstream headsets and slightly embarrassing when it doesn't work. Also seems it's impossible to test unless you own each of the headsets and do a real test. I don't have anything custom added to the xml so it's all pretty much vanilla.

Now I need to find someone with a Vive and also Oculus Go.

• Hi,

normally the WebVR support should work fine in these headsets:
    - Oculus Go
    - GearVR + Oculus Browser
    - Oculus Rift + Firefox or Edge
    - HTC Vive + Firefox or Edge
    - Windows MR Headsets + Firefox or Edge

About the Samsung VR browser - I must admit I haven't tested it's recent version yet (but my last tests were working), by typically is older and less-performaning than the Oculus Browser - AND - it might be necessary to enable WebVR support there manually (see here: https://webvr.rocks/samsung_internet). What you explain sounds like WebVR API support is not enabled and you're using the browsers 'VR-mode' for images/videos.

Beside of that - please keep in mind that the WebVR API is still experimental and the reason for problems can be very often the browser and the system itself!

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!