How are you guys dealing with new iPhone "Home Button" bar?

• Just got a new iphone and don't like the way the new bar that replaced the home button that floats at the bottom of the screen collides with the layout of our tour UI. I was curious how you guys are dealing with it?

• We've moved our toolbar off to the side so that isn't a problem specifically but we have project logos that live in the lower corner and it looks pretty bad actually with the phone is in portrait mode. I think a bottom, center justified toolbar probably looks OK as long as there is enough padding off the bottom. If there is a way to detect these specific devices, it may be worth adding a 10 or so extra pixels to anything along the bottom to give it a bit more breathing room. I need to do some testing I suppose.

• i just had the opportunity to have a look at my tours on an iPhone Xs...

my toolbar is at the bottom edge without gap and it is still usable.
    i could move it up 10px for the new iPhones, but its not really a must.

more disturbing was this:
    1) if you have tabs open, the nav bar is huge and you cant use webvr unless you close all other tabs first.
    2) in portrait i always had top and bottom bars. they do not disappear if you change the device orientation.

i guess the tabs display cant be disabled by an application, the user must have this idea on his own .)

but does anybody know if you can get a full screen display in portrait mode on these phones?

best, index

• The top and bottom bars are indeed huge on both Safari and Chrome on these phones but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by having tabs open. Can you elaborate? I'm using an XR and not sure what you are referring to as the tabs. You probably know this already but if not, the best way to get "full-screen" is to launch in Safari and then Add to Home Screen. Besides looking like a native app, launching from there loses the regular browser navigation bars.

• Hi,

krpano has already a special support for the iPhone X and its 'safe-area' - please see here for more:
    https://krpano.com/forum/wbb/inde…#news119iphonex

and here:
    https://krpano.com/docu/xml/#display.safearea

About 'fullscreen' on iPhones - the next release will have a better support here, it's not possible to go 'automatically' into fullscreen mode, but krpano will automatically allow dragging the screen upward to make it fullscreen when necessary.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi Klaus,
    Yea, I experimented with that yesterday. It's pretty cool but my problem with the current implementation of the safearea_insets is that both sides are the same when the phone is horizontal regardless of which side the notch is on. This leads to an awkward layout aesthetically when side-justified UI elements are on the opposite side as the notch where the space is uncomfortably large. It looks good and makes sense when the notch is on the side with the UI but not the reverse. I suspect these variables come directly from the browser and is not a KRPano issue but until the phone "knows" which side the notch is on, designing an interface to take advantage of the notch is problematic IMHO.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!