GearVR + S8 for a museum, Kiosk mode ?

• Hi everyone !

We did a project for a small museum and we are now using GearVR + S8 phones + KSWeb server so our KR Project is loaded locally. All of this is perfect !

However, the occulus browser quit the tour very often the the headset is not used.... then we have to make sure the browser is pointing at the local address and then click the "Enter VR" button again. It gets disturning to do that all day long....
    Does anyone knows any ways to prevent many exit from the tour to reduce the number of time we would have to launch it again ?

Thanks,

Martin

• I've been struggling with this as well. Shortly after you remove the headset the tour drops out of VR mode. Usually, I have to click enterVR a couple of times before it returns to VR mode. Sometimes I have to reload the page. The Go seems to consistently go back to VR with one click. Not sure why the difference and can't be certain there isn't some bug on my end just yet. I haven't seen it lose the link entirely, but maybe that is because I'm not testing with local content at the moment.

Have you tried the Samsung browser? I don't think Firefox Reality is a good option just yet, and you would have to compile it yourself for Gear VR. Haven't found another browser on the Oculus platform that works.

I've tried convincing James Tubbritt to port his excellent Virtual Tour Pro Android app to the Oculus platform. He feels he could, but it would be a lot of work. I've been exploring it myself for a while and... he's right. May well still pursue it. Also exploring turning off the Oculus platform and run Virtual Tour Pro in the headset, which is what we did a year or two ago. Then it was easy. Now it is well nigh impossible but still exploring.

No two ways about it. The perfect solution isn't there, yet.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!