Depthmap - "Height from ground" parameter instead of "offset"

• Hi Klaus,

do you think in future would be possible to add another parameter to the depthmap definition that specify the height from the ground instead of using the offset?

I can immagine depthmap are mostly used from renders where it can be generated as a byproduct and the model could be too complicated to be exported as STL, while for photography you would use tools like everpano to generate a light model.

In the case of depthmap we would have to use the offset parameter that defines the distance from the nearest point:
    this distance is highly dependent on what is visible in the scene and it requires to open the(very heavy, too complicated to be exported) model and start checking for the nearest point (or wait for the depthmap to be produced, check the whitest point, misure the distance with the camera) while it would be far more easy to use the height of the camera from the ground (often set to 160cm but anyway very trivial to find).
    Furthermore, in your examples you use this value to position correctly the points on the ground, so it already has to be know.

I take that the offset is used to scale correctly the greyvalue of the map with the world coordinates, but it shouldn't be difficult to start counting from a middlepoint instead of the whitest value.

Let me know your thoughts *smile*

Skia

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!