Depth map rendered from blender deforms scene not so well

• I exported depth map from blender and scene is not deformed well.
    Here is the depth map, image output, node setting and result :
    scene

node

rendered image and depth map

result

Edited 2 times, last by giangm9 (December 16, 2019 at 11:56 AM).

• Hi,

while there can be many reasons for getting the depthmap images from blender or 3D max or ..., there are still many other reasons to get it form everpano 3D, and not the depthmap image itself but the *.depth file which is the most recommended file format for depth in krpano. It's just the numerical version of the geometry.

find attached the .depth file and the depthmap image generated with everpano 3D.

vs

result using depth format file :

also please find here the screen cast here (just 3 minutes of how to create it)

https://youtu.be/PgKXKYu3qSg

• first you must understand, that a depthmap-image is internally translated to geometry, too.
    and this is most likely always worse than a real 3d-depthmap. (visible grid in your pictures)

second, also 3d-depthmaps should be as lightweight as possible.

so it is better to create a minimal geometry in the 3d app than to use a rendered image-depthmap.

you can use everpano, but if you have your 3d-model already in blender i'd do it there, that is 5mins of work

• first you must understand, that a depthmap-image is internally translated to geometry, too.
    and this is most likely always worse than a real 3d-depthmap. (visible grid in your pictures)

second, also 3d-depthmaps should be as lightweight as possible.

so it is better to create a minimal geometry in the 3d app than to use a rendered image-depthmap.

you can use everpano, but if you have your 3d-model already in blender i'd do it there, that is 5mins of work

Sorry for my lack of knowlege :D
    I know that stl/depth data is the best way to "deform" panorama mesh. But export stl/depth data from a blender file programatically is my target. Blender dont have depth file exporter. Exporting scene to STL file is possible, but result is not same as what I see on blender : https://krpano.com/forum/wbb/inde…&threadID=17198

So my choice is depth image, and I think just a little change in node setting or some parametter in krpano may give me a good enough result.
    By the way, can I request a tool from krpano to help me export depth/STL from blender ? How does it may cost ?
    P/S : the scene I that i used to ask is just a sample, in my case, my scene is much larger and the quanity of scenes is very big

• I'm sure this is only an export problem... with the correct settings it should work to export an stl from blender
    (or export another format and convert in another 3d application)
    just be sure that your coordinate system has its center where your camera is. (camera has to be at 0,0,0)

i think depthmap-images are only the last resort... stl is always better
    and you cant use the model you use for the rendering, you need a really minimal version for the stl

• You should not only take into account the camera location which of course is basic to be correctly set at (0,0,0) location of your scene.
    But also take in care the coordinate system that needs to fit with the krpano.

stl is always better

*.depth is even better ;)  
    Look at the values of weight from the attached files above

depth = 844 bytes
    stl = 7.2 kb

When the geometry get more complicated also it does the difference from format weight.

Kind regards

• You should not only take into account the camera location which of course is basic to be correctly set at (0,0,0) location of your scene.
    But also take in care the coordinate system that needs to fit with the krpano.

*.depth is even better ;)  
    Look at the values of weight from the attached files above

depth = 844 bytes
    stl = 7.2 kb

When the geometry get more complicated also it does the difference from format weight.

Kind regards

But automatically export STL/.depth from blender to fit with krpano is not easy. May I order krpano team to write an addons for that ? How much it may cost ?

• Hi,

automatically export STL/.depth from blender to fit with krpano is not easy

yes that's true, I have been deeply cheking it with some projects I created in blender for testing, and the stl generated by blender needs to be manipulated in there many aspects. But I have understood what need to be done in order to transform them into krpano depth system.

I could writte a blender addon for doing so, and also it could automatically render all camera positions at once, and some more cool stuff like creating all the xml files necessary for krpano to play the project with global value positions and so on, but is many people interested in such addon ?

Some people in the forum using blender ?

Learning.. but very novice and just started..
    Can be very useful though.. but also needs much attention and focus.
    I would be interested a blender add on .. i think.

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hi,

yes that's true, I have been deeply cheking it with some projects I created in blender for testing, and the stl generated by blender needs to be manipulated in there many aspects. But I have understood what need to be done in order to transform them into krpano depth system.

I could writte a blender addon for doing so, and also it could automatically render all camera positions at once, and some more cool stuff like creating all the xml files necessary for krpano to play the project with global value positions and so on, but is many people interested in such addon ?

Incase I keep using depth image, is there any way to adjust image to make my scene looks better ?

• Hi,

Incase I keep using depth image, is there any way to adjust image to make my scene looks better ?

Yes, range is very important, so setting correctly what color is 0 distance and where black is maximum distance will make your depthmap more accurate.
    So in your node window, you should set up with precision minimum and maximum distance.

But again, depthmap images should only be used to perform small movements, and *.depth format to freely move around.

Hope it helps

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!