Differentiate what iPhone the user is using

• Is there a way to determine what iPhone model the user is using? I know you can differentiate what iOS version they are using, but is there any way to determine the device?

Older iPhones don't support 4K video playback, but newer ones do, so I would like to serve different video qualities based on the device they are using.

• Hi,

in older iOS version it was possible to differ between the devices by checking the screen-resolution and the information about the GPU,

but now in newer iOS versions, that GPU information is hidden to avoid fingerprinting and the screen-resolution can be the same for several models.

That means now it's not really possible anymore to differ between the different iPhone and iPad models.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks Klaus!!
    I also have another iPhone/mac related question...

When switching videosources using Safari on iPhone and Desktop I have noticed that the video briefly loads/displays the first frame of the video before jumping back to the current video time. Do you know why this occurs?

• When switching videosources using Safari on iPhone and Desktop I have noticed that the video briefly loads/displays the first frame of the video before jumping back to the current video time. Do you know why this occurs?

That would be more a question for the Safari developers ;-).

There are a several strange browser bugs especially related to video handling. That's probably because the video decoding is often not fully done by the browser itself, instead they are also using external frameworks or systems-libraries for the video stuff.

But I will keep a look, maybe there is something to detect and workaround...

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!