Panorama Based Textured 3D Models in a ThreeJS Scene

• While learning threejs.org and investigating adding textured 3D Models created with Blender and the PanoCamAdder plugin by https://der-mische.de/, I created some ThreeJS 'scenes' to explore all the fun things possible such as lighting, shadows, navigation, and adding other objects.

Here is a scene that works great in VR on Oculus Quest V1, it has navigation via touch control thumbsticks, 10 geometry objects added that can be manipulated, as well as a simple directional light, but no shadow effects.
    Simple VR Ready Scene - Works well on Quest V1

Here is the scene above with a complex animated light and a shadow map effect added. It works great on a Desktop VR setup but is far too much for the Quest 1 GPU (we will see soon about Quest V 2)
    Complex VR Scene (not for Quest 1) Forkable Codepen.io Code

The shadow map effect seem to be the hardest part for mobile GPU's to compute, but they are really awesome when power is available. There is so much potential using these panorama based texture-mapped models for real life looking games, real-estate tours, your imagination is the limit! Building the touch controller navigation system was a significant effort, I hope somebody finds inspiration. (Next step is learning Blender and PanoCamAdder)

Happy Creations *rolleyes*

Jason

Edited 2 times, last by odysseyjason: Clarity (October 13, 2020 at 4:20 AM).

• I am very pleased to report that the GPU on the Oculus Quest 2 was easily able to handle my complex Three.js scene with smooth results with the animated lighting and shadow map! The Quest version 1 could COMPLETELY not handle this scene. The GPU on the new Quest seems to be of a much higher caliber, I am amazed with the difference and how well a little mobile chipset is doing! Also reporting here that the krpano panorama images do indeed look sharper with this headset in VR and I did not notice while within an image a negative about the black levels (although I could see the difference when looking at a black screen as its LCD instead of OLED.) The unit does seem lighter and more comfortable too. Excited!!! *smile* *smile* *smile*

(Now the question becomes what platform to develop for?...) *blink*

Edited 3 times, last by odysseyjason: Updating Results after trying an actual Quest 2 (October 13, 2020 at 7:12 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!