CGI panos Depthmap best practices

• I have CGI panos that were created in 3ds Max. I was wondering what is the best way to make depthmaps if I already have a pano tour in a 3D space?

Thanks!

• Hi jbravo,

I am facing the same situation like you trying to find the best way to create cgi depthmap tours using of existing 360 renderings.
    I have a 360 rendering panos and low poly version of original 3ds max scene. I highly recommend you to buy PanoCamAdder+ 1.7 plugin for blender from Mische. He has a very simple and useful tutorial how to create the tour with 360 panos on his youtube chanel.

If I understand correctly next step would be import the simplified 3d model into blender and use this plugin to insert and adjust every single cgi pano onto the 3d model. How far are you now with creating the cgi dollhouse tour?

• Hi jbravo,

I am facing the same situation like you trying to find the best way to create cgi depthmap tours using of existing 360 renderings.
    I have a 360 rendering panos and low poly version of original 3ds max scene. I highly recommend you to buy PanoCamAdder+ 1.7 plugin for blender from Mische. He has a very simple and useful tutorial how to create the tour with 360 panos on his youtube chanel.

If I understand correctly next step would be import the simplified 3d model into blender and use this plugin to insert and adjust every single cgi pano onto the 3d model. How far are you now with creating the cgi dollhouse tour?

I was able to use the plugin but like you wrote, I'll need to make a simplified version due to my STL being almost 2GB *smile* . Thanks for the help.

• I managed how to create the tour with just one single 3d model which is encrypted .depth file.
    Actually my way to achieve best solution was like:
    1. STL 3d model for every single pano (STL size: 12 panos x 17 mb = 204 mb total size, absolutely inacceptable and tour was very laggy).
    2. single STL for all panos (STL size: 17 mb, more suitable, but still laggy)
    3. single .DEPTH for all panos (.DEPTH size: 2,7 mb, almost fine, but still slightly noticable laggy between 3d transitions)
    4. single encrytped .DEPTH for all panos (encrypted .DEPTH size: 1,4 mb, works like a charm *squint* )

here is this test scene: pano is very lowres, just to test the 3d transition and to find out how many panos I need to comfort movement.

https://krptest.s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/tour.html

Now I am struggling with another problem, but this time I am looking for experienced krpano programmer. I am looking for a way to implement Everpano Navigator Plugin for non-everpano project. For now I only have CGI projects and I don't need to create 3d model in everpano again, because I already have the 3d model from 3ds max (just need to simplify it).

PS: When I press on another hotspot while movement between hotspots it makes strange effect.
    How can I solve it? The idea, dont react on click while 3d transition.

• Greetings)
    You are at the very beginning of this amazing journey to a new version of virtual tours, which in my opinion is the future.
    I have gone this way for a long time and go further along it with my uhta3d_navigator plugins and blender addon based on the PCA addon, but already very different from it in functionality and modeling approach)
    in your case, you need to master the basics of model optimization. I have customers who send me a model from Unreal Engine, which weighs about 2-3GB and has more than 2-3 million triangles. I optimize them in a blender and minimize them to the normal 2-4 thousand triangles and the size of the scene models is about 100-250kb.
    So it all comes with experience *thumbsup*

P.S.

In my projects, I use different combinations of model formats for the tour:
    - in the move mode - STL (for each scene its own) or STL one for all (when the tour is created in a graphic 3D editor)
    - in dollhouse mode - OBJ with dollarhouse texture

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!