• Hello,

Because I had a bigger tif, I tried to use ktransform at my faster linux machine (I only have a slower windows computer to use some windows tools I can't use on linux). ktransform @ linux is sooooo much slooooooooowwwwerrr than on windows. Can you tell me why? Doing something wrong? I'm using the standard options, it's a 700mb 16bit tif I'm trying to convert to 6 cubes.

Maaike

Edited once, last by maaike (February 6, 2010 at 11:59 PM).

• Windows XP: 32bit, 2gb ram.
    Linux: 64bit, 6gb ram.

But about the 32/64 bit: because you write this, I'm wondering if I used the 64bit version of the krpanotools, because I earlier used the 32 bit version (have a new pc since a few weeks). Is it possible that's the reason? I'll check this evening, when I'm home.

Thanks for the suggestion :).

• Hi,

it shouldn't be a problem, but yes, the 64bit linux version could be the problem...
    please try also the 32bit version,

I must admit that I haven't tested a linux system with more than 4gb ram yet...

the tools are requesting the available memory from the system, and when here
    a wrong (too low or negative) value will be returned, it will do much more swapping
    to disk than necessary...

I will check this (and also add a kind of "verbose" option to allow displaying
    more informations about the system/memory)

best regards,
    Klaus

• Ok, I tried the 32bit and 64bit version together. The 64bit version on my linux machine is much much faster! More than 6x as fast I think (if you want to know exactly, I'll test that, but I don't have the patience for it right now).
    Thanks for the hint!
    Why do you need that huge amount of .swap-files?

• Hi,

I found the problem, it will be fixed in the next release,
    (the return values of the linux system call sysinfo() had changed and it reported wrong values about available free memory)

here you could download quick pre-release for the meantime:
    https://krpano.com/temp/uploads/

Why do you need that huge amount of .swap-files?

because of the wrong informations about the free memory
    now there should be no .swap files until the image is very large,

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!