3.4 gigapixel pano-combination

• When i started with hires-panos the visiting of several spherical gigapixel-panos (360x180 dgrees) was a little bit disappointing to me (the expected "deep-zoom-feeling") - the same with my own ones i tried. Maybe reading values like 1.5 Gpixels or 3 Gpixels pushed my speculation for this feeling but i of course know that this lot of pixels distribute all over a sphere, so that it doesent leave so much for zooming to a special view.

But in most scenes you have huge areas of the picture building foreground of no interest and detailless blue heaven.

So i tried a combination like this - it combines a hires partial pano (horizontal areas) and a standard setup pano with fisheye for the spherical completion.

What do you think about it?
    I´ll try to fuse it better in future...

In detail:

the hires-part shot with Canon 5D II + 85mm 1.2 L / 2 Rows á 32 pic // leading to 650-700 Mpix for the horizon (82115 pix wide)
    the lowres-part shot with Canon 1Ds II + 15mm fisheye / 6 around + Z // leading to 92 Mpix spherical pano
    these 2 panos then were fused in one (Photoshop); interpolating the small one to the 82115 px width
    of the hires part leads to a (technical) 3.4 Gpix spherical pano with really fine details in the horizon regions of interest...

• Hi PanAustria,

It looks great... as the sky and the ground are not of a lot of interest, it seems enough in my opinion... and for a 'normal' viewer it should be difficult to see the less high resolution regions...

Great pano and panning steps intro *thumbup* .

SAlut.

• Very intresting combination of low and hi rez.

Recently brought some panos from Sagarmatha, and doubt if it is possible to combine it with low-rez VR pano. Your example inspires me to try))

Can you tell what is the final size of your example in MB's (the folder with comlete set of files)?

• thank you for the replies!

Can you tell what is the final size of your example in MB's (the folder with comlete set of files)?
    -->

The final size on the server is 640 MB; it depends of the jpg compression as well -
    here in this tour the starting pano is buildt the same way (and pixelsize) and althoug the hires-part of it is just a one-row capture (against 2 rows from the pano shown at the start of the thread) it uses 840MB serverside...
    ---> sorry for the less perfect fusing of hires- and lowres-pano here, but there was 1 week(!!) between shooting both of them - in such case it is nearly impossible to meet exactly the same cameraposition...

you did change the lens flares didn't you?
    Can you shar ehow you did that?

id did change it and will look for the files and settings (half a year passed...) and publish it here.

best regards

• Excellent~~~!!! *thumbsup* It's so cool~~!!! How did u do it~!

Hi All,My name is Lily. It's great to be here. *tongue* I like photography and making some panorama pictures. *smile*

However, I'm not good at computer languages for making panorama pictures. *unsure* I have many questions.

Any help would be highly appreciated! *love*

• How did you make take butterfly to fly in the panorama?

It´s not that difficult:

1) you first have to build (or use a ready-to-use) an animated swf. In my case i did animate the butterfly (flash of course) with moving wings and saved it to a swf.
    2) define a hotspot in krpano script with this swf-url and set its starting ath & atv values to the left screenborder
    3) define sutable v_diff value for the vertical amplitude of its up/down movement (1 used a value of 6) and store it as a hotspot attribute.

4) the horizontal movement is a simple tween action: tween(ath, hor_dest, 80, linear). "hor_dest" is added before from the current ath plus an offset (set the offset to 1080 and it will turn around 3 times, then stops).

5) the vertical movement is a recursive loop action: if you call "but_vTween(6)" and define
    <action name="but_vTween">
    add(tmp, get(hotspot[butterfly].atv), %1);
    tween(hotspot[butterfly].atv, get(tmp), 1, easeOutQuad, mul(v_diff, get(v_diff), -1); but_vTween(v_diff));
    </action>
    it will move up and down additional to its hor movement – as you have seen it in the pano - because the done-action of this tween inverts the v_diff value first and then calls itself with this inverted v_diff as parameter...

i hope it helped!

• Practically perfect!

My only criticism is that you should (if possible) turn off krpano's sharpening feature for zoomed out views, where it creates an unnatural "sparkle"; only use it for highly magnified views, where it really helps.

Taking spherical panos with two or more lenses would be natural if stitching s/w would support combining those images directly. But I have not been able to get either Hugin or PTGui to stitch image sets with mixed lenses, even though both nominally support that.

Regards, Tom

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!