Automation: Implementation of the droplet with CGI or something else

• Hi Community,

I'm still looking for a solution to automate the creation of the pano's.

Now I'm thinking about a solution to create a web page with integrated panorama creator. I would like to upload the equirectangular image with a webform, and the droplet will create the pano initiated by CGI.

Has someone experiance in such a solution?

Thanks for a short hit how to start.

Best Regards

Christoph

• I know people want this, and it's boggling my mind how to create such feature. Im not boggled about the technique, because there are tons of options (php, cgi + droplets, c# compilers etc) but rather how this would work userwise.

So lets say you shoot a photo, and stich it. Tada you got a TIFF of several 100mb's And now you gonna upload it to someone elses server (which would take FOREVER + if you lose connection, you can start all over again). Even if you compress it to a JPG of 10mb, a tour has got alot of photos.

Next is the server handeling, First you need alot of Diskspace. Then Imagine several people create a tour all at once, you can't run this on some crappy pc on the attic. You'll need proffesional hosting I guess, which can get expensive.

I would just let people upload a lowquality version of a panorama (max 500-1000kmb) Do you magic without the droplet, and then return your tour xml to the user.

What could work is creating an application that works offline (webpage + apache server + cgi scripts in 1 exe file). And that uses a login system that connects to the internet. Then you get the best of both worlds.

• Hi Zephyr,

Thanks for your reply, I will think about this!
    I'm not yet sure, if I would like to have this functionality just for me to automate the panorama creation, or if I would like to open this for a small community or for the public. At the moment, my webspace has 100GB... enough for a first test...

Tours were not in my first focus, just pano's in jpeg with around 10-20MB for each file or not much more...

I did some test's to execute the droplet on the FreeBSD Server, it's not yet working... but I will try to re-configure the server for this.

But where is the benefit of the offline system? If I create such a solution, the best way is to have it online anyway, or not?

Thanks

Christoph

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!