Compatibility of krpano iphone with other webkit based browsers

• Hi,

I know that krpano for iphone uses CSS 3D transformations of the browser Safari. These CSS 3D transformations are processed by Webkit. Webkit is used by Safari but not only, it can be found in Google Chrome and in other browsers like the browser of Blackberry Torch.
    My question : is krpano for iphone only compatible with the iphone browser or with all webkit based browsers ?
    If not, is it just a detection lack or is it a different compatibility problem ?
    I tried to display a virtual tour with Google Chrome after changing the User Agent string to be detected as an iphone. It seems it doesn't miss much so that it works.

Thanks

• I can view the iPhone tours on Windows XP machine using Safari browser by changing the user-agent type. So, i would say it works on any webkit based browser. Webkit for desktop might be different from webkit for a mobile device.

According to this link http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives/…_is_no_web.html , even webkit differs from device to device. So, i am not sure if you can view the iphone tour on a mobile device just because the browser is based on webkit.

• Thanks for your reply.

I also tried with Safari and it works when changing User Agent. But my wish is that krpano detects the presence of flash and if it is not available, it detects if it is a webkit based browser (without changing the user agent to an iphone like user agent). If so, krpano could use its CSS 3D version.
    I think it is a pity not to offer the ability to display the virtual tour if it's possible with any technology.

But is it possible ? Perhaps Klaus can give us more informations about that.

• If my understanding is correct, it works the other way round. If krpano detects that the user agent is iphone compatible, it shows the iphone tours. If not, it falls back to the swf version.

As per the link in my previous post, webkit for iOS can be vastly different from a webkit for other devices. So, even if they load properly, i am not sure if the krpano iphone tours will look the same on all webkit based browsers.

• Hi,

My question : is krpano for iphone only compatible with the iphone browser or with all webkit based browsers ?

'Webkit' is only one part of the browser, the rendering 'backend' must also support the rendering of the CSS 3D transforms, at the moment this are only Safari 5 and Chrome 9 so far I know (both browsers are using own backends),

here some details about the Chrome internals regarding 3D rendering:
    https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org…iting-in-chrome

about the Flash/HTML5 detection - there is simply a user agent check - when there is an iOS device, the krpanoJS will be used, and when not available it will show an error,

on Desktop always the Flash viewer is used by default, but this can be changed by the useHTML5 function,

best regards,
    Klaus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!