will it take longer to load if i put the images in the swf?

• Guys,

I've been using kprotect for a while mostly for generating executables. I'm not sure how the swf behaves. I was wondering let's say I have a tour and I embed everything including the tiles and its around 30mb in size. If i upload this to a website when I try to load it will it need to finish downloading the 30mb before it displays anything? or will it be like the krpano.swf where it will load a preview and load everything else gradually.

If this is the case what do you guys do? Do you embed everything except the tiles /images? and just send the tile images together with the .swf to the client? they will be able to see the tile images but not the xml files and images you used for the tour theme?

Do you guys also embed the buttons, logos, maps, etc in the swf? or do you just put it outside?

Thanks,
    Milo

• I am still a very small fish in a big pond. I haven't had many clients request the tours for their own site. I typically host the tour for a set time and sometimes keep it on the site for reference for others. If I provide the tour to be used on another website, I typically embed only the XML (and license of course). I also have a basic setup or template I try to use unless someone wants something custom.

I am sure I should be protecting my code a bit better but everytime I have protected the code, I later want to edit things and end up getting frustrated instead.

You can use the encryption tool and leave your images separate. I don't know if the iPhone version can use these protected images though. I have not tested that.

Edited once, last by Jarredja (January 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM).

• I don't really get why people protect 'their' code. Most of the code come from Klaus or other people on forums. You have to be a krpano expert to be able to use the code, and if you are an expert that means the code was already available on the forum in the first place.

If the idea is super, and the code is easy. People can just backwards engineer it, and recreate the idea.
    If the code is complex, people wouldnt understand it without proper commenting/naming in the code, and the person translating the code would already be a good programmer and could recreate it anyways.

There is 1 rule I learned, If you don't want people to steal stuff from you. Don't put it on the internet. This doesnt mean you should make their lives easy :P a simple find and replace the word "gallery" with "g542" or something like that. Removing whitespace and put all the xml on 1 line. put xml in a sub sub sub include of another xml.

to be on topic. The user has to download the full 30mb before displaying the tour. What I do is just give the client the complete folder with all xml, tiled images (never the full spherical/cube). If the client is smart enough to read krpano code, or to put all the tiled images together to make 1 big spherical (and photoshop it to remove the nadir logo). Then he probally wouldnt contracted us, and done the tour himself. Alsoo we have a disclosure in the contract that states that the tour/photographs etc are intellectual property of us, and the client only pays for a "copy" of the tour. Never for source image/code. This is common.

• Hi,

some informations about the embedded file loading:

• the swf file itself will be always downloaded completely by the browser
    • but the flashplayer will be start playing the swf already before
    • when the basic krpano.swf code was loaded (after the first ~100kb) krpano starts and can work normally
    • now when krpano wants to load a file (xml, images, tiles, ...) it needs to wait until the swf file was loaded so far that the requested file was included in the loaded bytes

that means when you load a file that was embedded at the end of the swf, also all other files that were embedded before will be loaded, so when used wrongly this can increase the download/start time a much,

typically the xml, the preview images, the buttons should be embedded first in the swf and the the pano tiles should follow,

making a tour as single swf is not a good idea because of that, when jumping from the first embedded pano to the last embedded pano, then all other embedded panos must be loaded before the last pano can start,

I hope I could clear that a bit, that "streaming loading" without dynamic access is a basic system limitation and can't be avoided (or better - can't be avoided without a special server application and a custom loading protocol),

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!