3000 x1500 cube faces VS 6000 x 3000 multires

• Hi,

I'm redoing my website and part of it is deciding whether I'd go with a 3000 x 1500 cube faces or 6000 x 3000 multires(tiles) images.

Right now im using 6000 x 3000 tiles, I notice with this format sometimes some of the tiles won't load and the krpano console will pop out. I have not had this happen with 3000 x 1500 cube faces they always seem to load completely. The div containing the virtual tour will be 960px width and 500px height, but a full screen option is available. I feel that users wont always use the full screen option and I think they'd be happy with just the small tour(I attached a screen shot.). 3000 x 1500 looks fine on the small div but on full screen you'll notice the blurriness of the images. I won't of course get this with 6000 x 3000 but I think it loads slower

I want users to have a good experience on my website so that they'll come back. Of course I want the tours to load fast. So with all those in mind which one would you guys choose? Will a 3000 x 1500 cube face tour load faster than a 6000 x 3000 tiled tour?

I'd appreciate it a lot if you guys give me your opinion on this. Thanks in advance

Milo

• Are you meaning you will use a 3000x1500 to then get cube faces? What size cubes are you getting?

I would recommend you play with these settings in the template and see if you can achieve what you want.

jpegquality=72
    jpegsubsamp=420

Maybe still use the higher resolution image and set the max cube size to where you feel comfortable. The smaller the cube face, the worse it gets. You will just start with a higher quality image. The fewer times an image is downsampled, the better it will look. (as I understand it, anyway)
    maxcubesize=2200

• Here is a bit more information, typically Klaus has all of the helpful info in the kmakemultires.config file that is located in the tools, not with the other templates. It is full of useful info.

# jpegquality
    # - jpeg compression quality for the image tiles
    # - possible values:
    # - 1-100 ... 1=worst, 100=best qualitiy
    #
    jpegquality=82

# jpegsubsamp
    # - jpeg color subsampling to reduce file size
    # - more informations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling
    # - possible values:
    # 444 = no color subsampling (best quality)
    # 422 = horizontal (1/2) color subsampling (good compromise)
    # 420 = horizontal (1/2) and vertical (1/2) color subsampling (the jpeg default)
    # 411 = horizontal (1/4) and vertical (1/2) color subsampling (best compression)
    #
    jpegsubsamp=422

Edited once, last by Jarredja (March 8, 2011 at 4:24 PM).

• Yup 3000 x 1500 then get cube faces

way to small. maybe 5000x2500 is the smallest i would go. your div may be 900x500 but if you provide a fullscreen button things will start looking bad. i would use multi tiling. that way you can get fast downloads of the first level and if they do zoom the quality will be there in the back ground. for one of my larger tours i am using tiled 7000x3500 souce images using progressive="false" and download="view" and it seems to be working well. the tiles download fast but only for the current view. the remaining pieces are small enough that when you start to pan you can barley see them beind downloaded actively.

• For my standard pages I use 8000x4000 as source and convert to 3 levels with 512 tile. I set 2048 as max size so that I get 512, 1024 and 2048 cubefaces.
    That means I do not need the mobile and tablet cubefaces and it also means that Android works perfect with full resolution 2048 cubefaces.

If I want even larger size I ad 1 level more and set 4096 as max. Thats OK for my max resolution 14600x7300 from my 5DMark II + 15mm

Flash on Android does not work well with large single cubefaces but as soon as you make multiresolution there is almost no limit.

Hans

• so for 6000 x 3000 would cube faces be better? instead of multires? will it load faster?

try them both and see which set of tiles is larger 6 full or many pieces. if the data size is the same the 6 cube faces should download faster. if you have ever copied a single DVD at 4.7gb and then copied 4.7gb worth of photos you will see the difference. for the size of data we are talking about it might not be that bad but every little bit helps. i would make 2 test 360s upload them to the internet and see for yourself. maybe post the links here and we can tell you how they perform from this side of the pond.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!