Best practice (file hierarchy, html + xml) for publishing multiple panoramas

• Hi y'all

I've played around with Krpano for about a year or so, learning more with every project I've done. I still consider myself semi-newbie, so bare with me on this. One very basic thing is still a bit of mystery to me - what is the best practice for publishing multiple panoramas and/or virtual tours on one site. I understand that there are many ways to do this, but I don't know the pros and cons of them. My own site is a mess on the server -everytime I upload more references, I make a new folder and copy new krpano files 'cause I haven't really planned that very well. Now there's many versions of krpano, differend skins etc. and it's a bit hard to maintain.

Lets take the project I'm currently working on for another example. It's a sort of real estate portal. There are different kinds of panoramas (plain, one-room panoramas and simple virtual tours with multiple linked panoramas) and more will be added in the future. All panoramas must have iPad and Mobile versions as well. The site has a pretty high traffic.

Things I would like to know (sorry, some of these questions might be highly retarded):

1. What do you think is the smartest file hierarchy (on a server) on a projet such as this.
    2. Should I use more than one krpano.swf-file (can it create lag if there's too many request for that file at once)
    3. Is it possible create one (kind of "top level") xml-file with common attributes that affects all the others so that I would not have to write the same lines over and over.
    4. I think I'm going to create new html-file for every panorama and just link to it on the webpage. Is there any other (better) way to do this, make panoramas into single swf:s and embed them with ajax etc?
    5. What things I should pay attention to keeping in mind that I have to update every now and then.

I've tried to search for examples and instructions for these questions, but with limited success. I would really appreciate any advice/links to relevant resources.

Oh, and since it's my first post on the forum, I really like to thank Klaus for the amazing tool he has provided. I've had so much fun with it, and paid couple of rents too.

Edit: And one more thing (Columbo is one of my favourites): When I make panoramas with Make Pano Normal -droplet, it creates as many Flash files as there is panoramas. Then I have script all of them manually to use one player. What I'm not getting here - is there any simpler way to to do this?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Saulus (8. März 2011 um 12:08)

• Hi,

first generally - there is no overall best practice - as mostly - it depends on your own needs and what you want to achieve,

Edit: And one more thing (Columbo is one of my favourites): When I make panoramas with Make Pano Normal -droplet, it creates as many Flash files as there is panoramas. Then I have script all of them manually to use one player. What I'm not getting here - is there any simpler way to to do this?

change in the templates/normal.conig file these settings:

Code
    renamedswf=false
    embedlicenses=false

2. Should I use more than one krpano.swf-file (can it create lag if there's too many request for that file at once)

I don't think that it would be a noticeable different for the server if there is one swf or several swf files,
    but for an user - a one global swf file can be better of course - once the browser had cached it, it don't need to load it again,

3. Is it possible create one (kind of "top level") xml-file with common attributes that affects all the others so that I would not have to write the same lines over and over.

yes, e.g. on my page I use one global.xml (here - https://krpano.com/global.xml) that will be included from all other example panos,

best regards,
    Klaus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!