Real size of iPad panoramas

• I'm testing Krpano for one our iPad project. At this moment i'm struggling with size of panorama and with format of pictures which i will use. I'm exporting my panoramas using Pano2VR to cubestrip, but this strip is little bit different than Krpano "likes" - down and up tiles are rotated (-90° and +90°, iirc) - and because image rotation is not supported in JS, it's little bit fail (or i need to modify every picture in Photoshop). Bad thing is that max size what i can see is 600x600 px of cube face (600x3600 for cubestrip), but i can't see size 800x800 (800x4800 for cubestrip). In documentation i read that it's possible to use 1024x1024 up to 1280x1280.

When i try to use cube faces, i can't see them on iPad at all, regardless of size. i can see it in Safari, when "emulating" iPad.

I need to combine few panoramas just for iPad and i would like to make it in xml to have everything under control and i have quite simple XML at this moment, so i will appreciate any help. Bellow is sample of my XML for cube faces.

<scene name="scene1">
    <view hlookat="-180" vlookat="0" fov="90" />
    <image type="CUBE">
    <left url="img/DSC_0286_0.png" />
    <front url="img/DSC_0286_1.png" />
    <right url="img/DSC_0286_2.png" />
    <back url="img/DSC_0286_3.png" />
    <up url="img/DSC_0286_4.png" />
    <down url="img/DSC_0286_5.png" />
    </image>
    </scene>

iPad with 4.2 and 4.3

Thanks for help

• I am not certain but I believe you need to use .jpg and not .png. I am certain that the krpano tools will not make cubes with a .png.

One of my test is using jpeg cubes (800x800) and still with no luck on iPad

Why don't you use the krpano tools to make a cubestrip?

https://krpano.com/tools/ktransform/

hcube or vcube

I have no problem with building of XML , but i'm not very big fan of CLI aps on desktop. So i would like to use tools which i'm using now to keep my workflow as simple for me as possible and to know what i have in my XML files, so i would like to omnit this tools if it's possible. And from documentation: "transforms sphere to cube panoramas" - my panoramas are in equirectangular projection and i just don't want to transfer it then to sphere and then to cubes if there is some more straightforward way. You know, i need to learn Krpano just for one project, so i don't want to dig deeper than is necesary.

• I think you misunderstand something.

A sphere is an equirectangular. When you use the droplets you convert directly to cubefaces.

Just use the droplets to convert you equirectangular automatically to what you want.
    KRpano HTML5 viewer works perfect on iPad with 1024x1024 cubefaces.

With the tools you can specify exactly what you want. Default is that you make 512 pixel for iPhone3 and 1024 pixel tablet cubefaces for iPhone4 and iPad.
    The tools give you an XML and html which you can use directly or edit with your own additions. It saves you a lot of work.

An alternative method for iPhone/ipad is to use multilevel with 512 pixels tiles and min 2 levels instead of the tablet and mobile images.
    I use as standard 3 levels with max 2048 pixels cubefaces.

This means that iPad and iPhone 4 will use the no 2 level which is 1024x1024

This supports also Android full resolution use. KRpano works perfect on Android even in Gigapixel sizes.

Hans

• If you are looking for simple,

1. Make sure your licenses are in the tools folder.
    2. Copy all your equalrecangular images at once.
    3. Drop them onto the vtours tool. Either normal for 6 cubes for flash or multires for multiple images for flash.
    4. Look in the folder where you copied the equirectangulars from for a folder named vtour.
    5. Edit the xml as you wish.
    6. Upload the vtour folder, renaming as necessary.
    7. Enjoy the view.

If you want to keep your current workflow, no problem, we can help with that too. I don't know much about pano2VR but I am sure someone can assist you here. This forum is great.

• If you are looking for simple,

Thanks,

i followed your steps, and i have results from which i'm not very happy. I did small 4-pano tour (just side note - i don't have valid licence - i will buy krpano when i will see, that it will make what i need, but i hope that function-wise it's same like "full" version).

First try was multires pano and for no know reason it did for two panos three resolutions (2777x2777, 1389x1389, 695x695 and 2765x2765, 1383x1383, 692x692) and for two just two resolutions (2793x2793, 1397x1397 and 2769x2769, 1385x1385). No idea why. So, panos with just two resolutions are NOT working on iPad correctly, i saw just preview picture.

Ok, so i tried normal vtour. I modified vtour-normal.config to find resolution in which it will work on iPad. So far no luck - at this moment i am at 695x695 - maxcubesize=695 (because in multiresolution pano i had such resolution and it worked ok on iPad), but on iPad i still see just blured preview. I'm really lost, because i just need to create vtour with ONE resolution which WILL work on iPad.

Please help!

• You can not use these odd sizes if you want to use the multitiles images for iPad and iPhone.

From my experience there are only 2 ways if you want iPad to show the best quality..
    1. Use the mobile and tablet images for iPhone iPad and separate multitiles for flash. That means that without any special extra xml you will use the tablets also for Android flash.

2. Make multitile without the tablet and mobile images.
    To do that you need to set the sizes to 512 pixels tiles and your max cubefaces to 2048 with 3 levels or 4096 with 4 levels or 9192 with 5 levels.
    In that way you get all tiles exactly the same size 512 pixels.

This means that the iPad and iPhone 4 can use No 2 level which is 4x512 = 1024
    And Android works all the way up to maximum cubefaces 8192 or more if you like it.

This is the only way to support Android for full resolution unless you want to make 2 xmls and direct iPhone and iPad to 1 and Android and desktop to 1.

The once you are using will probably crash on the iPad as it will try to load the 1383x1383 which uses to much Ram.

Hans

• From my experience there are only 2 ways if you want iPad to show the best quality..
    1. Use the mobile and tablet images for iPhone iPad and separate multitiles for flash. That means that without any special extra xml you will use the tablets also for Android flash.

2. Make multitile without the tablet and mobile images.
    To do that you need to set the sizes to 512 pixels tiles and your max cubefaces to 2048 with 3 levels or 4096 with 4 levels or 9192 with 5 levels.
    In that way you get all tiles exactly the same size 512 pixels.

This means that the iPad and iPhone 4 can use No 2 level which is 4x512 = 1024
    And Android works all the way up to maximum cubefaces 8192 or more if you like it.

This is the only way to support Android for full resolution unless you want to make 2 xmls and direct iPhone and iPad to 1 and Android and desktop to 1.

The once you are using will probably crash on the iPad as it will try to load

I'm sorry, but this is too much information. I don't need flash, i don't need iPhone, don't need Android - just and only iPad. How to make it with best possible quality? Why i can't make export with size let's say 800x800 and have it working?

• Ok, So you want a single resolution, or 6 cubes for only the iPad. Has the tools generated any "tablet" images?

I assumed you had the licenses. When the licenses are in the tools, it automatically generates the tablet and mobile images, at least if in the config file is set to auto. If you only wish to use the tablet images, you can delete the other images as long as you delete the code calling for them too. I would only do that after you got everything working as you want it and delete these items only to save space, otherwise just leave it all as is.

• Ok, So you want a single resolution, or 6 cubes for only the iPad. Has the tools generated any "tablet" images?

I assumed you had the licenses. When the licenses are in the tools, it automatically generates the tablet and mobile images, at least if in the config file is set to auto. If you only wish to use the tablet images, you can delete the other images as long as you delete the code calling for them too. I would only do that after you got everything working as you want it and delete these items only to save space, otherwise just leave it all as is.

I need Krpano for one project and i don't want spent 130 € before i know, that it will help me, so i don't have licence yet.
    This is output from my test with MAKE VTOUR (MULTIRES) droplet.app (and in this case i saw on iPad something else than preview, because 695x695 was small enough to be processed by iPad). But no special tablet part. I made no changes to config. But i still don't understand one thing - why i don't see on iPad anything else than preview when i create VTOUR with MAKE VTOUR (NORMAL) droplet.app and size of tile is 695x695.

<preview url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/preview.jpg" />

<image type="CUBE" multires="true" tilesize="505" progressive="false">
    <level tiledimagewidth="2777" tiledimageheight="2777">
    <left url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l3_l_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <front url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l3_f_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <right url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l3_r_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <back url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l3_b_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <up url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l3_u_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <down url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l3_d_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    <level tiledimagewidth="1389" tiledimageheight="1389">
    <left url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l2_l_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <front url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l2_f_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <right url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l2_r_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <back url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l2_b_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <up url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l2_u_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <down url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l2_d_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    <level tiledimagewidth="695" tiledimageheight="695">
    <left url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l1_l_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <front url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l1_f_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <right url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l1_r_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <back url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l1_b_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <up url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l1_u_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    <down url="DSC_0237 Panorama.tiles/l1_d_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    </image>

• Ok in that case here is what you do.
    I assume you have copied the krpanoiphone.js into the tools folder.

In templates you open the vtour-normal.config
    Its just a text file you can open in text edit.

Because you do not have the license the tools will not generate the tablet and mobile images.

Here is the first half of the text
    panotype=autodetect
    hfov=360
    converttocube=true
    converttocubelimit=360x120
    buildmobileimages=true
    buildmobileres=512
    buildtabletimages=true
    buildtabletres=1024
    tilepath=%INPUTPATH%/vtour/%BASENAME%.tiles/pano[_c].jpg
    preview=true
    cspreview=true
    graypreview=false
    previewsmooth=25
    previewpath=%INPUTPATH%/vtour/%BASENAME%.tiles/preview.jpg
    makethumb=true
    thumbsize=80
    makescenes=true
    multires=false
    maxcubesize=1024
    xml=true

The build tablet and mobile images are set to auto by default but that needs you to have the license in the folder.
    So you change them to true.

Also change the maxcubesize to 1024

You do not need it for the iPad but without a standard cubeface you will not be able to check it out on a desktop. What you will see without them is just a very blurry preview.

You just drop all your equirectangular, on the MAKE VTOUR (NORMAL) droplet.app (or bat if you are on Windows)

You will get a standard xml with the scenes and some thumbnails but you can of course just edit the xml yourself with your own thumbs or what ever navigation you want.
    You also have some readymade hotspots you can use, the xml is ready just to drop the codes in place and set the views.
    The actual hotspots can also esasy be edited or changed to your own.

And you can ad a standard KRPano navigation bar by copying the skin folder from the xml folder into the vtour and ad a link in the main xml to the defaultskin.xml
    Like thei
    <include url="skin/defaultskin.xml" />

With that you have all the basic XML to start up with.

Hans

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!