detecting the network speed of the target device

• Hi,

does KRPano have the capability of detecting the network speed of the target device (for example cellular 3G, wireless B, wireless G, wireless N, etc., or perhaps a numeric figure)?

thanks

--
    Pratiks

• No not really, you can let the customer choose through buttons (similar to websites highspeed or low bandwidth versions) or maybe let them download a small file of 50-100kb and calculate how long it took them. But thats not ideal. There is no real solution for it. In webdesign you either choose to ignore a part of the target audience, or you choose to incldue the whole group. but then you have to follow the weakest link (lowest speed, screen resolution)

• Hi,

does KRPano have the capability of detecting the network speed of the target device (for example cellular 3G, wireless B, wireless G, wireless N, etc., or perhaps a numeric figure)?

no, krpano has no build-in capability for detecting the network speed,
    krpano is based on Javascript and in Javascript there are no informations about the network connection speed available,

you could maybe try loading an image and count the time what was needed to load it,
    e.g.

Code
    addplugin(netspeedtest);
    set(plugin[netspeedtext].visible,false);
    copy(starttime, timertick);
    set(plugin[netspeedtext].onloaded, sub(neededtime, timertick, starttime); removeplugin(netspeedtest); trace('time to load the image:', neededtime, ' ms');
    txtadd(plugin[netspeedtext].url, 'yourtestimage.jpg?nocache=',random);

best regards,
    Klaus

• I do not think there is any reliable way of detecting the viewers connection.

I just checked my analytics and they seems to have dropped the option 2 months ago.

Before that the amount of not detected had increased to 50% probably due to the large amount of wireless connections which there is no way to detect.

The only way to make a detection is to serve a large image and measure the download but that is just ridiculous today as it will take the same time as most will use for actually downloading your pano.

Hans

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!