• I'm pretty much done with my application and am very happy with this pano viewer. It works really well. However, it appears to be very very memory hungry. Going through a handful of panos invariably crashes my app. I've packaged my app using PhoneGap and have a stand along app that way. I can also access it in mobile safari, and, short of some spacing issues, it works (and crashes) the same. You can access my virtual tour at this link:

http://archive.cyark.org/iphone/fla-kiosk.php

Tap the welcome link, then the "interactive virtual tour" button in the bottom left, then select an icon on the map and that will load up a pano and start spinning it. Go through a few of them, and it'll crash. Note that the pano spins MUCH smoother and crashes much less frequent on an ipad 2. But we still have to get it working well on the ipad 1.

So does anybody have any thoughts? Is there anything glaring that I'm doing wrong? What would you recommend doing to improve performance such that it doesn't crash? My panos are currently six sides, 1000px square. I've experimented with that making them 750px, 500px and 250px in different tests and that doesn't seem to have any impact.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Landon

• As I don't have an ipad(2), I can't specifically help there but I viewed it on a iphone and it is not good. If you are not targeting iphones, then ignore this. BUT I also looked at that link using internet explorer and there are many things that seem to be loading and maybe just out of view with the ipad controls. If all of those images are loading, that may be your memory issue.

• Thank you for your thoughts. This specific app is only targeting ipad in landscape mode. I have a setting in my app that restricts it to landscape mode, something that you can't see just viewing it in safari. This app has a lot more components than just the pano which is most likely the cause of the diminished performance. Is there any way I can profile the performance of this application to see what exactly is super costly? Are there tools like that? How else can I see what exactly is bogging down my application?

• Good questions.. So in the version you've provided us.. it's not an APP APP.
    I was viewing it on a real ipad2, the orientation change crashed it. But if when it's a real app, that doesn't happen then I guess you're ok.
    For the memory resources.. all good questions.
    I like the overall design and thanks for the heads up on phonegap..

• I tried it first on my iMac 27" in Safari and it crashed after 3-4 panos and it also started flickering with some of the elements after a couple of panos.

On iPad 1 it crashed at first pano the first time but after reloading it all worked fine in Safari.
    As I could not see the menu in Safari I had to load the panos from hotspots.

I then tried it in iCab which has fullscreen option.
    Loading from the hotspot also worked fine, I guess I tried 7-8 panos without crashes.
    However when trying to use the Map it crashes after first pano. The map looks very large to me. Why do you not keep it in one peace and in the iPad size 1024x768

Hans

• Yeah, I've set things on the app to prevent those glaring problems you are listing. Orientation change works fine within my app. But I'm concerned with the performance of the panos and the memory usage (these two things are probably the same issue). Does anybody have any thoughts on that? Why is it so slow? Why is it crashing? This is my first attempt into app's for ipads, so I might be missing something. What tools can I use to help me diagnose this problem?

And Hans, my client wants the ability to zoom/pan on a big map, so that's why I made it so big.

• And Hans, my client wants the ability to zoom/pan on a big map, so that's why I made it so big.

Well clients are not always right . Just tell him to complain to Apple because they are the ones responsible for the low memory.

Remember you have to go back to around 2002 for a PC with 256mb ram.

But you can get much better performance if you develop as a real app using Adobe Digital Publishing Suite. That gives you up to 2048x2048 mb cubefaces because it does not use the safari Webkit.

Hans

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!