How reduce latency in a big virtual tour ?

• Hi,

I've got a big multiresolution virtual tour and i make tests on line before finishing the design. Here it is : http://www.lesgrandsbuffets.com/

My problem is the latency when loading the first scene on the web site page, then when going in an other scene. Specially with the "Hors d'oeuvres", both of them. It's really long (longest is Safari).

-I've got my main xml with the 12 scenes, then two others with the buttons and the scroll thumbs.
    -My hotspots are a little bit heavy, 1.12Mo.
    -I preload two pictures (252Ko each) in those two scenes (i don't use them yet).
    -I use cube type panos.

My blend settings :

I don't use any "network" settings. Could it be a solution ? If so i don't have any idea of which settings i should use.
    Klaus use those ones in a multiresolution pano :

Code
    <display details="22"/>
    <network downloadqueues="6" decodequeues="2"/>
    <image type="CUBE" multires="true" tilesize="1000">

Could it be ok for mine ? I think i see a little difference, but i'm not convinced.!?

I don't need multiresolution in every scene, if i use normal panos instead, it shouldn't fix my problem, is it ? quite the contrary in fact, no ?

Thanks for your help. *smile*

• your hotspots are nice but 1.12 mb each is kinda heavy. thats 3mb for just the hotspots. they really don't add anything that a single flat arrow icon could do. if you could get the swfs smaller i would leave them otherwise swap them out and see if it loads any faster. multiresolution tiles will always help also.

• Hi jpdeglet69,

Thanks for your quick answer (both of you). Your suggestion about xml is interesting, but that means i can't protect my work by embedding the xml in the swf, is it ? Also i'm not sure the thumbs will work correctly. I'll try anyway, if the difference is enough effective i'll do this way.

VN, you're right they're too heavy, that's because i don't work with flash to generate this swf. I'm working now with someone able to create it with flash.

By the way what's your opinion or experience with the "network" set ? What's the best set with this kind of tour ?

Thanks again. *thumbsup*
    Steph.

• Your suggestion about xml is interesting, but that means i can't protect my work by embedding the xml in the swf, is it ?

If you are embedding the xml anyway, I don't think there will be any gain by using separate xml vs one xml with scenes.

• Hi Jarredja,

"If you are embedding the xml anyway, I don't think there will be any gain by using separate xml vs one xml with scenes. "

You're right, i meant that i have to choose between protect or not my work. No i didn't embed the pictures.

"dont preload the jpgs either especially if your not even using them right away. "

Thanks VN for your suggestion, but i preload the picture because the way i will show them, needs to be instant (so preloaded). And i also need to stick to the real tour as it will be.

Thanks everyone for your concern about my problem. *thumbsup*
    No suggestion about the "network" set ?

Steph

• i have never used teh network settins ever in 3 years. i dont think changing them will cure your issues.

if the jpegs are not needed instantly at startup you could choose not to preload them instead after the first scene has loaded run an action to create them then. they will still be preloaded in the time the users needs them but then do not have to wait for them to get past the black screen. 500k isnt very much so that would only help a tiny bit on pc but you get the idea.

alot of the delay has to be the hotspots.

• I have a 30 megabit fiber connection.
    I use safari on a iMac 27" so I have to load level 3 cubefaces initially.
    It takes around 3 sec at each panorama.

To see what a 1 megabit connection would take I tested it on my small Desire Z Android 2.2 Smartphone.

It needed around 15 sec per panorama, which I find quite OK for that connection. Of course I only need the smallest cubefaces on it as the resolution is only 800x480.
    You do not provide any zoombuttons so I can not zoom in on Android.

Hans

• Hi HansNyb,

Thanks for your tests. It's really helpful.
    No zoom buttons because this tour is not supposed to be avalaible on mobiles. It should have a dedicated web site for mobiles!? I'll check this.

I'm at ease now.

Thanks everyone for your help. *thumbsup*

Steph.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!