Why different iPhone qualitly from cube vs multires

• I am just testing the iPhone solution and have found a strange thing that I cannot understand the reason.
    I used "Make Pano Normal" droplet to make 6 cubes normal pano + iPhone images of resolution 512 (<mobile> tag in xml) . Looking in iPhone 3Gs the panorama does not look good at all.
    Then used "Make MPano (Multires)" droplet of the same pano with iPhone images of resolution 512 (<mobile> tag in xml) but looking in the same iPhone the panorama looks much much better.

*question* If mobile images are loaded in both cases, why the difference in the quality from these two?

Thanks for help,
    Mahmood

The Multires xml has the following image tags/attributes:
    <image type="CUBE" multires="true" tilesize="503" progressive="false">
    <level tiledimagewidth="3018" tiledimageheight="3018">
    <level tiledimagewidth="1509" tiledimageheight="1509">
    <level tiledimagewidth="755" tiledimageheight="755">
    <mobile>
    <tablet>

The CUBE xml has the following image tags/attributes:
    <image type="CUBE">
    <mobile>
    <tablet>

Note that the mobile and tablet images are identical for both...

• Hi,

you were right, in the current tools version 1.0.8.12, the jpeg quality settings are different from the MAKE PANO (MULTIRES) droplet, which uses the kmakemultires.config and the MAKE PANO (NORMAL) droplet which uses the templates/normal.config file,

open both files and have a look for these settings:

Code
    jpegquality=82
    jpegsubsamp=422

it wasn't my intention to have different quality settings here, for 1.0.8.14 I have already changed that to have the same default settings everywhere, maybe I will also add additional quality settings only for the mobile and tablet images,

best regards,
    Klaus

• For Cube:
    http://www.stockholm360.net/fp.php?id=monalisa

jpegquality=72
    jpegsubsamp=420

For Multires:
    http://www.stockholm360.net/multires/mona-lisa.html

jpegquality=82
    jpegsubsamp=422

1) So, the solution is to copy the MAKE MULTIRES values to MAKE NORMAL config file? (Well, I did that but it didn't help much *sad* there must be something else too)
    2) and this change increased also the size of Pano face files a lot more.

Also, it would be helpful to have a droplet only for producing mobile and tablet cubes, as many already have loads of normal cubes and only need to produce mobile/tablet files.
    The cube or multires files takes a lot of time to re-produce.

Regards,
    Mahmood

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mham (12. August 2011 um 11:08)

• On iPhone 3Gs I can definitely see a difference. None of my panoramas looks good on my iPhone although I have changed the "normal.config" file to have jpegquality=82, jpegsubsamp=422 (as it is set in the "kmakemultires.config")
    One possible hint that could help guess the reason could be that when I have both the multires pages and the Normal page open in iPhone, when I click on the number icon on bottom right corner of the iPhone display to switch between the different open pages, the panorama of the multires page fills out the picture frame completely but the panorama from the Normal page fills just about one quarter of the picture frame (See the attachments for clarification).
    I am wondering if the panorama from the NORMAL droplet _is_ smaller (about 1/4) and the iphone just stretches it to fill the display and therefore the loss of quality???

regards,
    /MH

• Going by what you posted it would appear that the iPhone browser is using the multi rez images themselves instead of the mobile images like Hans intentionally has set up on panoramas.dk. Combined they do give a higher resolution than the mobile images which I believe may be downsized on the 3GS to keep it from crashing due to memory issues.

• No, not exactly the same html pages but I have tried to use the same parameters relating to the view.
    The html page for the multires is the one generated automatically when you use the Make Pano Multires droplet.

regards,
    MH

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von mham (12. Februar 2012 um 10:57)

• Hi,

that page is not using a 1:1 pixel scaling/mapping for iPhone/iPad - so the display quality will be unpredictable!
    when the page will be scaled by the iPhone/iPad browser, then images can be much smoother because the browser is internally scaling the images in an uncontrollable way!

in all krpano html files there is this "viewport" meta tag:

Code
    <meta name="viewport" content="target-densitydpi=device-dpi, width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, minimum-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0" />

this forces the iPhone/iPad browser to use a 1:1 scaling - this is the only way to guarantee a correct displaying an iPhone/iPad,

best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks for this tip, I tried it but I got a new undesired effect by adding this meta tag; everything of the html page got an 1:1 scaling resulting in a huge html page in iPhone, (and strangely enough the panorama itself only filled a slim strip of the screen, although seemingly correct scaled and with better quality than before). See the attached image "1:1_image_scaling.png".
    Without the viewport meta tag the html page filled perfectly the iPhone screen but with the bad quality effect of downscaling the panorama image giving very poor image quality on iPhone 3Gs (the second attached image).
    I am not sure if it is possible to apply the scaling of 1:1 only to the panorama and not the text and other tables of the html file?

• Hi,

I am not sure if it is possible to apply the scaling of 1:1 only to the panorama and not the text and other tables of the html file?

no, that's not possible and the automatic downscaling of the when using non 1:1 is also not controllable,
    the 'small stip' might be related to the other html elements on the page,
    that means the best solution might be to design the whole page correctly for a desktop and mobile layout,

best regards,
    Klaus

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!