Multi-resolution extensions

• Multi-resolution or tiled panos offer the possibility of so much more than just increased resolution which quite honestly from my view is most typically quite boring as a end to itself. Most giga pixel panos are a complete waste of bandwidth and viewer experience. There are very few worth looking at in detail.

But, tiled and multi faceted panos could provide a very interesting and changing viewer experience.

I would love to see multi resolution support dynamic alpha based on FOV and dynamic blend modes based on any consideration possible to program.

Just an idea to extend the artistic possibilities of this medium.

Cheers,

Robert

• On alpha transition, based on FOV:

As the FOV get's closer the alpha tweens from 0 to n on the next tile set. for example as the viewer zooms in, the tile set alpha tweens from the existing one to the next detail one, they don't have to be the same image. :)

For dynamic blend modes between tiles sets, the blend mode changes as a tween based on what ever parameter is wanted.

I'm simply looking to use muti-resolution tiles as a canvas that's dynamic based on viewer or scripted choices. It's quite a bit in line with what I first thought was B/S lens flare, but later realized it's a extreme possibility for creative output.

Think about it a bit.

Cheers,

Robert

• You should be able to do mosy of with distorted hotspots. Even gigapixels on the iphone, ipad just by controlling what hotspots are in the view. Using the fov, and atv ath to setup your actions. Possibly going further by adding hotspots as needed, basically rewriting your own multiresolution behavior.

• Robert, I totally agree with you but I wouldn't limit this to multires but extend it to panoramas in general!
    There is so much we could do with these - alas - where's the brilliant mind to break the barriers?

Most of us photographers (as almost anybody else) are sticking too close with what I might call the "traditional" way of doing things or looking at things.
    What we would need is a more "artistic" approach which means dare to do things that never have been done before. Being a creator who creates by the true meaning of the word - from nothing.

Pushing the technical limitations isn't enough.

An inspiring example can be found here.

And the chrono panorama Sacha was refering to is thisone.

Let's keep the discussion going.
    Jürgen

• There are distorted hotspots. Theres nothing stoping you from created distorted hotspots covering the entire view and change them out continuously. You dont need to use tiles at all, if you use hotspots. Just like jurgens chronographis or the cool ship wobbling example.

Hmmm, very interesting idea. Are you saying you can create a single distorted hotspot covering the entire 360? That would replace the pano image. So instead of using cube faces you use one or more giant EQ's as hotspots?

Have you done this? Wonder how it might translate to iOS? Guess you would need a alturl for each device to make it work. And then careful control of zorder if you wanted to have other hotspots or video hotspots or plugins.

I know you've stated in another forum that you've been exclusively coding in KRPano for most of this year and not shooting. Care to share why? Are you possibly open to contract work? PM or email me if any interest, I'm not saying I have anything planned right now, but I am marketing advanced 360 possibilities and if a couple of these potential projects get the green light I will probably need help.

Cheers,

Robert

• Zitat von jschrader

Let's keep the discussion going.
    Jürgen

Jurgen, very nice links, thanks for posting them. The first one is quite a production, and true to the downside of internet publishing I had to reload it twice before it would load the 360 body after the video intro.

And on your own work, BMW's headquarters/museum is quite a palace, and your presentation of it does what great 360's do, makes me want to go there and visit. Very nicely done!

Alpha for the full pano has been requested many times before I think, but seems not possible with the current version of Flash and I have no idea about HTML5/CSS3. It seems like we are headed into yet once again a technology group of platforms that could only be described as quicksand, not quicktime :) for creative producers.

As a artistic endeavor, I know I've not even come close to exploiting what's already possible with this engine. I'm trying to make the time to work on that as I have a lot of ideas.

Cheers,

Robert

• No im saying you can replace the krpano tile system with your own using distored hotspots. A lot of work but doable for a programmer. In that way youd have complete control over the behavior and itd probably work on idevices.

My codings taken a long time because im new at krpano this year, i had a lot of fpp plugins to recode into xml, and i have a CMS where i can upload images and generate tours that had to be replaced. Plus a thousand improvements. Now that im done i need to get back into shooting and traveling.

Hmmm, very interesting idea. Are you saying you can create a single distorted hotspot covering the entire 360? That would replace the pano image. So instead of using cube faces you use one or more giant EQ's as hotspots?

Have you done this? Wonder how it might translate to iOS? Guess you would need a alturl for each device to make it work. And then careful control of zorder if you wanted to have other hotspots or video hotspots or plugins.

I know you've stated in another forum that you've been exclusively coding in KRPano for most of this year and not shooting. Care to share why? Are you possibly open to contract work? PM or email me if any interest, I'm not saying I have anything planned right now, but I am marketing advanced 360 possibilities and if a couple of these potential projects get the green light I will probably need help.

Cheers,

Robert

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!