iPad for beginners!?

• Hi all - I'm just getting started on this pano trip.

I have made some outdoor panos from a tripod, but with a normal pan head. I have had no problems making them using panoramastudio 2 and have also been successful in making some work in KRP using the stitched images from aforementioned PS2.

I need to get something running on an iPad and for the life of me, I can't get this sorted.
    I understand that I can only create cubic panos for the iPad.
    Do my images have to be square? I don't have enough height, so 2:1 is not available for me, so I can't cut the squares. My images were shot in landscape mode with a Tokina 11-16mm at 11mm.
    I also don't have a floor and sky shot, just the 360°.

I have an 8mm fish eye, so future shoots will be in portrait mode and I will get a proper pan head as I understand that better now, but is it possible to make any of my existing panos work on the iPad?

Basically I really need someone to point me to the right place for a tutorial I can understand - the one on here beats me as I feel it requires better knowledge than I have as it assumes things I seem to not know!

My main question would be how to prepare the images needed for iPad work and can I use any existing images. I don't need to pan up and down at this stage.

Confused I am and have written a confusing thread, so please help me to unconfuse myself!

Eternally grateful for any help!

Thanks.

• Thanks for your input. I think my whole problem stems from the input photos.

I just grabbed some 1:2 images off the web and run them through no problems atall.

So I understand that my own shots are simply unsuitable for the iPad as I can't make 360° 1:2 from them.

thanks again.

• So convert them with some panoramic editor to the proper format. I'm guessing they are cylinders.

Thanks for your input. I think my whole problem stems from the input photos.

I just grabbed some 1:2 images off the web and run them through no problems atall.

So I understand that my own shots are simply unsuitable for the iPad as I can't make 360° 1:2 from them.

thanks again.

• please, tell me more!

Forgive my ignorance, but that would be new to me too.

Yes, they are 360° cylinders, at the moment approx 5000x750 pixels. What app can do this?
    I have PS2, Photomatix and CS4 suite.

• krpano supports partial panoramas, you can for instance limit the view, so the user cant look to the sky or ground (not 100% sure if it works on ipad, but I think it does). If im correct, the droplet will ask if the is a partial panorama, and if you type Y then it will perform the limitation automaticly.

• Thanks Zephyr,

this is where I got to last night before posting.
    I have pressed y, then 3, then 360 and it makes the pano, but I can't get any version to play in the iPad. Maybe I am missing it, but it keeps complaining that there are no ipod ipad or html5 images available, so I conclude it must have the 1:2 otherwise it won't work on the pad.
    All work fine in any flash enabled browser.

otherwise, I would be very happy if there were a way to limit the field of view on the iPad, but I haven't found it yet...

• Hmm, do you have the seperate ipad licence? And have you copied that + the tools + krpano.license in your krpano tools folder?

the droplets detect if you have the ipad license, and if you have, it creates extra tiles for ipad version. If there are no ipad tiles, then normal tiles are used (it should never complain about the lack of ipad tiles, I personally never saw that error).

This is what I basicly do to create a quick tour:

download latest krpano tools.
    copy all licenses to the krpano tools folder (where all the droplets reside)
    drag panorama on MAKE VTOUR NORMAL (you could choose another)
    if you have a partial panorama, it will ask if its partial, type y , then your type and degree
    it generates a vtour folder.
    upload that folder
    check url on ipad

• Yes, I have the licenses and they are in place.
    A 1:2 pano works absolutely fine in Safari in developer mode with iPad agent mobile Safari 3.2.2. I don't have an iPad here, but there is one coming in this afternoon for testing. That same iPad was used by a friend last night to view the 1:2's and they run fine on it too.

I must confirm that I can get 1:2 panos running on Safari (iPad user agent) with no problems, just these limited 5000x750 pixels won't run - all licences and scripts in place.

My workflow is exactly as you describe.

It seems KRPano will not make iPad tiles unless it has a 1:2 source image - that seems to be the crux of the matter.
    In the description, it does say that the iPad can only support cubic panoramic images, so it would make sense that it can't work with 5000x750px, so it won't make iWhatever tiles in the first place!

Thank you again for your input.

• Hi,

It seems KRPano will not make iPad tiles unless it has a 1:2 source image - that seems to be the crux of the matter.
    In the description, it does say that the iPad can only support cubic panoramic images, so it would make sense that it can't work with 5000x750px, so it won't make iWhatever tiles in the first place!

right, the krpanoJS viewer supports only cubical panos,

but the krpano tools/droplets have the possibility to convert also partial 360x* panos to cubicals - then the 'rest' of the pano will be filled up with black color - and viewing limits will be defined to avoid looking at these black pixels,

but on iPhone and iPad the max. cubesize is technically limited to 1024x1024 pixels - so very 'small/narrow' partial panos will become unsharp/smooth - so the default limit for converting partial panos to cubicals is 360x120 - but this setting can be changed in the particular config file of the droplet,

best regards,
    Klaus

• Danke Klaus,

I believe I finally have my head around most of this now.
    I will definately be changing my shooting technique though - I have ordered a panohead for my tripod, so we'll go from there!

Thanks again and I am sure I will have more teething problems and be back for your generous advice!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!