Just a note, an FYI on using Multires over an extended period

• I've been a fan of Multires and still am since it's pretty much been available. So, for those 360's or pano's that can benefit from it, I use it.

As I write this, I'm downloading my entire web site as a backup as I plan to perhaps redo major parts of it and add a lot of new content that's not currently publicly available at this time. It's been quite a few years since I've done any significant upgrades.

Anyway, back to Multires :)

Much to my shock, I really had no idea about this, I have over 92,000 files on my site. That is not a typo, it's 92,000 individual files. As a simple portfolio site I find this quite shocking. And currently being confined to a relatively slow wireless connection (130bps max, usually 80 or so) I've been downloading the site for two days and nights now. It's a bit over half done :) It's only about 7 gigabytes in total.

Just something to think about when you use multires.

Cheers,

Robert

• Well, like anything else. You run the binary. Getting to that point goes from easy to impossible depending on your level of hosting.
    Real hosting has command line access. Good hosting lets you upload binaries and run them, use php or whatever your server runs. Some have a control panel with a file manager with zip already supported. Or you should be able to have access to at least tar.. I dont think you really need zip at all to compress whats already compressed.. And what hosting wouldnt have tar at least? You can download that and open it with 7zip. Just google tar scripts php.

130kbps, you have my sympathies.. Comcast upgraded us to 36 mbps. 2 gigs is something like 40 minutes.
    Your performance wont be as sharply increased as mine as 75percent of download time is connection related only.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!