flat Gigapixel panoramas on iPad - not supported? - very disappointed

• I have purchased the iPhone/iPad license with the intent to view the same flat Gigapixel panoramas that I can view on a PC. However, the documentation states that only low-res cubical panoramas are supported on iPad.

How is it possible? You can view multi-resolution google maps on the iPad with no problems. Are flat Gigapixel panoramas essentially the same as flat maps? Is there any way to view flat Gigapixel panoramas on iPad?

• You can code a krpano / zoomify HTML5 viewer solution that will load the better krpano viewer on platforms that support flash. Your javascript or other code would load the zoomify HTML5 viewer when it detects a non flash platform such as the Ipad or Iphone. Krpano is able to display a Zoomify image pyramid. Note, that the zoomify viewer is only able to navigate the multi resolution panorama using a flat / planar projection.

1. Produce a zoomify image pyramid that the krpano viewer or zoomify HTML5 viewer ( Note that you could produce both types of image pyramids, but that this substantially increases your storage requirements )
    2. Modify your krpano xml file to display an image pyramid of the type ZOOMIFY.
    http://www.krpano.com/docu/xml/#image

Code
    <image type="ZOOMIFY" hfov="..."> 
        <zoomify url="zoomifypano/ImageProperties.xml" />
    </image>

3. Modify a zoomify template to insert into your current code or HTML
    4. Modify the browser / platform detection code such as swfkrpano.js ( this code is minified, so it will be difficult ) or an alternative embedding software to use the zoomify HTML5 viewer instead of the krpano HTML5 viewer when the Ipad or the Iphone are detected.

I assume that krpano will probably support multi resolution panoramas on the Ipad platform in the future.

• I recently downloaded the Zoomify HTML 5 viewer developer version to give it a try.
    Unfortunately I got stuck and haven't had the time to look deeper into these issues:

1. Zoomify won't allow me to view the sample or my own files locally
    2. Zoomify created thousands(!) of tiles from a moderate image where Krpano only needed a couple of hundred. Probably this is due to tilesize limitations on handheld devices but uploading such an amount onto an S3 account will cause an enormous delay just to get it viewable :(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!