URGENT/IMPORTANT - KRPano support for Amazon's Kindle Fire Tablet (Android 2.3)

• Hi,

Does KRPano support Amazon's Kindle Fire (Android 2.3 Gingerbread)?

I have done some investigation/implementation and found that Amazon's Kindle Fire uses its own browser (Amazon Slik) rather than Android's default browser.
    Android 2.3 supports Flash so ideally KRPano should be redirected to Flash Version but it is redirecting to HTML5 version, Strange!. HTML5 is not fully supported (CSS 3D transform) by Amazon Silk browser and that's why it is creating problem with panorama.

I have used following code to redirect but it doesn't work. I have used two separate XML for Flash Version and HTML5 Version. I have made some client specific changes related to iOS and Android in both XML that's why i have used two XML.

How can i detect user agent of Kindle Fire and redirect the user to flash version instead of HTML5?

OR

Is there any other way to redirect the Kindle Fire users to Flash Version of KRPano?

Please help me as soon as possible.

--
    Thanks
    Pratiks

• Hi,

Does KRPano support Amazon's Kindle Fire (Android 2.3 Gingerbread)?

I have no Kindle Fire (still not available in Austria/Europe) so I can't test myself,
    but regarding to other reports - when the Flashplayer is installed - yes, then it's working,

regarding to this page - http://munday.ws/2011/12/kindle-fire-useragent-wtf/ - identifies the Kindle browser itself as Safari 4.0 browser - and this is the problem - the current krpano embedding script has a fall-back - when 'no Flashplayer is installed' (!) - but a Safari browser is used' - then use the krpano HTML5 viewer - but this is wrong in this case - I will add a fix for that in the next release,

that means there are two problem in your case:
    1. no Flashplayer plugin is installed
    2. and the wrong detection of HTML5 because of the 'Safari' in the Kindle Useragent

installing the Flashplayer should fix that problem,
    but to avoid the wrong HTML5 detection, you could do something like this:

a small script that looks if the Silk browser is used and if the Flashplayer is NOT installed - so you can show an error message or alternative content for this case:

Code
    if (navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase().indexOf("silk") >= 0 && (navigator.plugins && !navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash"]))
    {
      // error message that the Flashplayer is needed to view this page
    }

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hello,
    There is a similar problem on lower spec android phones such as my Wildfire S which don't run Flash (at all as far as I can tell).
    I believe it runs Mobile Safari, and the User Agent string identifies it as such, but it does not support Flash (or HTML5 I assume). I realise that it will not therefore run the panorama, but the user is left with just a black screen and no warning message.
    Regards, Tony

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!