Google Maps Flash-API Keys

• Hi,

Google has stopped giving out keys for the Flash API - that means it's not possible to register new domains for using them with the Flash API and so also not with the krpano Google Maps Plugin, which is based on the Flash API:
    http://code.google.com/intl/de-DE/apis/maps/signup.html

The plugin itself and all currently available keys are still working, only registering new keys/domains is not possible anymore. For this reason and until there is a solution the buy-option for the krpano Google Maps Plugin will be removed:
    https://krpano.com/plugins/googlemaps/#buy

Update1:
    It seems still to be possible to get new keys - but now by directly requesting them by mail from Google.

Please see this thread here about that:
    http://groups.google.com/group/google-m…0743abcb597fe80

And here the key requesting mail address:
    flash-maps-key-request@google.com

Update2:
    Openscales with BingMaps might to be an alternative, see here:
    Google Maps Flash-API Keys

Update3:
    There is a new krpano Bing Maps Plugin as replacement for the krpano Google Maps Plugin. Same interfaces and almost same functionality:
    Bing Maps Plugin (as replacement for the Google Maps Plugin)

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

I have updated the first post - it seems to be possible to get new keys by requesting them by mail, see this Google thread about it:
    http://groups.google.com/group/google-m…0743abcb597fe80

Here a quote from this Google thread:

The Maps API for Flash was officially deprecated on September 2, 2011 but will continue to be supported for existing applications in accordance with the deprecation policy defined in the Maps API Terms of Service Consequently we recommend against using the Maps API for Flash in any new applications, and instead recommend use of the JavaScript Maps API v3.

Although we are no longer issuing keys for the Maps API for Flash online, we understand that some existing developers may need to update the key being used for an existing application, for example due to a change of hostname. Please mail flash-maps-key-request@google.com if you need a new key. Please provide:

a) a link to your application
    b) your reason for needing a new key
    c) the hostname for which you need the new key to be issued
    d) your existing Maps API key for this application

Please include as much detail as possible about your particular case.

Note that in accordance with the Terms of Service your application must be publicly available to all users at no charge. If your application is not available publicly, or is sold for a fee, you will need to purchase a Maps API for Business license. This will also allow you to self manage the hosts authorised to use your credentials going forward.

Okay, now to the questions:

do you plan a Google map JavaScript version in a short time?

How do you mean that exactly?
    1. A Javascript version for the Flash Viewer?
    2. A Javascript version for the HTML5 Viewer?

to 1. - I'm not sure, that would have a lot of disadvantages - see the detailed answers below in 'Option 1'.
    to 2. - yes, a version for HTML5 (and iPhone/iPad) is in work, but unfortunately not ready in a short time.

Is there something planned for the plugin?

I'm still thinking and researching about solutions, each with advantages and disadvantages,
    here the possible options:

Option 1 - A new Flash Google Maps Plugin that uses the Javascript API

• This plugin would need to be split into two parts: a Flash part that handles the plugin position and size and the krpano xml interface, and a Javascript part that shows and controls the HTML window of the Javascript Google Maps. That means these parts are constantly communicating together about all changes.
    • Advantages:

• it would be possible to use Google Maps again
    • Disadvantages:

• it would be necessary to use 'wmode=opaque' when embedding the Flash to allow overlapping the Google Maps HTML window the krpano Flash window - this means slower rendering and no 3D GPU usage (the Flash Stage3D GPU rendering will be only possible with 'wmode=direct' and then overlapping HTML content is not possible!)
      • no Flashplayer fullscreen mode - in Fullscreen mode only Flash elements will be visible and so the HTML Google Maps window will be not visible (the new HTML5 Fullscreen mode might be an alternative here, but it is not provided by all browsers yet)
      • no overlapping of krpano xml elements and the Google Maps! That means no "parent" mixing or placing custom buttons/elements on the map.
      • still depend on Google, no idea what will happen on the next API changes...
      • still a bit unclear situation about the new Google Maps limitations and costs for excessive usage.

Option 2 - Use a different Maps API from an other provider

• I'm still exploring that option...
    • Advantages:

• probably the solution that can be implemented in the shortest time.
    • Disadvantages:

• still no Google Maps.
      • depend again on a third party Maps API provider.

Option 3 - write a custom krpano Maps Viewer with custom maps tile sources/providers

• Instead of using an API from an third party to display the map tiles, it would be also possible to do that by own code. The loading of the map tiles will be only one very small part of the code and can be changed/adopted quickly.
    • The problem - I'm not sure which map providers are legally allowing direct tile access, e.g. Google definitely not, but it seems Bing and OpenStreetMap are allowing that.
    • Advantages:

• independence from any third party API providers.
      • big parts of the maps code will be usable for the Flash and HTML5 version - this means faster development and better cross Flash-HTML5 support.
    • Disadvantages:

• unclear situation about legal tile access:

• Google Maps - technically possible but definitely not allowed.
        • Bing Maps - a bit unclear, eventually allowed, if possible this seems to be the best solution.
        • Yahoo Maps - ?
        • OpenStreetMaps - seems yes, but it has unfortunately no satellite images.
        • other Maps providers - ???

at the moment I'm preferring Option 3, but as said I'm still researching...

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi there. I just wanted to leave my 2 cents on the issue.

Having in mind not only this Google maps issue, but also the future of KRPano, I wonder if the best option would be to accelerate the support for WebGL and make that the "main" viewing technology. As far as I know, almost all APIs and "widgets" nowadays are made in javascript, and placing them over a WebGL canvas or the CSS3D viewer should be much easier.

The Flash Player should still be supported of course, for compatibility with older browsers and with IE. But looking at the way the web is going, it seems to me that features should come first to the HTML5 viewers (WebGL + CSS 3D Transforms), and added to Flash only if it's not too much work. For instance, Google Maps could be available in the HTML5 viewers but not in Flash.

I realize that getting all of krpano's features to also work with WebGL is a lot of work, but I think it would be a much better use of time in the long run than to hack a solution for google maps.

• Thanks, I was really sad after Google stopped giving keys for Google Maps v2 API. But as you said I've send an email to flash-maps-key-request@google.com and I recieved a key for my new website. So I can confirm that it's possible, if you have some problems you can also send an e-mail to Luke Mahé lukem@google.com - he helped me with the key :)

For me Google Maps are really better than OSM or Bing, so option 2 and 3 is not so good :(

I'm also waiting for HTML5 version of Google Maps plugin for iOS devices.

• "We are only providing keys for sites that are moving domains, we do not plan on issuing keys for new projects.

-- Luke
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, this is not provide the new key for anybody, just moving domains, its true. unfortunately it is no longer available api key for all users panotourpro.

And tell more:

"Google has no formal relationship with kolor.com, and we can not help with product issues relating to third party products that use the Maps API. You can also read the article on kolor.com (http://www.kolor.com/blog-en/2012/0…-api-for-flash/) on how to use OpenStreetMap instead. "

Thanks

-- Luke

Só, is a open street map or nothing my friend.

• Hi,

The Flash Player should still be supported of course, for compatibility with older browsers and with IE. But looking at the way the web is going, it seems to me that features should come first to the HTML5 viewers (WebGL + CSS 3D Transforms), and added to Flash only if it's not too much work. For instance, Google Maps could be available in the HTML5 viewers but not in Flash.

Basically I agree of course, and I'm already working into the HTML5 direction of course, but I don't think that the Flash Maps plugin should be totally dropped yet, I think Flash will be still needed for at least 1-2 years (or more).

Option 2 - Use a different Maps API from an other provider

• I'm still exploring that option...
    • Advantages:

• probably the solution that can be implemented in the shortest time.

After some testing and working with the OpenScales.org Flash API, which is supporting Bing-Maps, I think this might be the best option for a short/mid-term solution. For long-term I'm still preferring Option 3. Maybe it would be also possible to vote at Google for a (key-based) direct-tile-loading API (like Bing-Maps is offering it), then using the Google-Maps tiles would be possible again.

Here a first demo of a port from the current krpano Google Maps Plugin to a OpenScales-based krpano Bing Maps Plugin (with the same xml interface of course):

https://krpano.com/temp/bingmapsdemo/

Left - Bing Maps with the OpenScales API
    Right - Google Maps with Google Maps Flash API
    (both map plugins are synced together by xml)

At the moment only the basic map is implemented, but porting the other features like spots, radar and so on should be not that difficult...

Here the plugin itself for testing:
    https://krpano.com/temp/bingmapsdemo/bingmaps.swf

Note - for using the Bing-Maps a Bing-Maps-Key is needed, which can be requested here:
    https://www.bingmapsportal.com/

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

I have extended the new krpano Bing Maps Plugin now with spots, radar, controls and so on, so it can be used now as replacement for the krpano Google Maps Plugin. I have made a new and dedicated thread for it - so please use this Bing Maps thread for discussions about the Bing Maps Plugin itself:
    Bing Maps Plugin (as replacement for the Google Maps Plugin)

About the Google Maps itself - when Google would provide direct access tile to the Google Maps (like Microsoft with Bing Maps), then using Google Maps would be possible again. This issue was already reported to Google since a long time, but the status of this issue is still 'WontFix', that means Google is currently not interested to change that. But it is possible to vote for that issue to increase the attention and maybe add a little pressure.
    So if you are interested in getting the Google Maps tiles back, please vote (=star) this issue here at Google:
    http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-is…/detail?id=1396

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!