iPad1-IOS 5.1 with 1400pixels Cubefaces

• The update to IOS 5 has improved the iPad 1 quite a lot regarding crashes.

What I wanted to test was if I could use larger than 1068 cubefaces also.
    I have a page here with 3 panos at 1400x1400 tablet cubefaces and using multiresolution 700 pixels tiles with max 1400 pixels for desktop. Maxpixelzoom 1.0

http://qtvr.dk/test-1400/

This works fine no crashes on my iPad1 with IOS 5.1 but when comparing the resolution by taking screenshots it turns out that it is downsampled to around 1068 on the iPad.

And whats worse if I use my standard setup with no tablet images and make them 700 pixel tiles multiresolution, the iPad just loads the 700 pixels version.
    http://qtvr.dk/test-700/

Question is what happens on the iPad2 and on iPad 3 when it arrives.
    As far as I know the Safari browser is exactly the same for iPad1 and 2 when using the same OS.

Hans

• I have been doing some more tests to see if there is a limit for the use of tiled cubefaces.
    It shows that the max size is just 540 pixels which gives you 1080 pixels cubefaces on iPad.

If you use 560 pixels the iPad just loads the first level.

So even if it now with IOS 5 has no problem using 1400 pixels tablet cubefaces it only loads max 1080 using multilevel.

Please Klaus can you give me an explanation. Is it KRpano that make it do this or is there some sort of restriction in Safari.

Hans

• Hi,

the 'html5rendermode=2' applies only non-tiled panos,
    tiled panos were rendered always with 'html5rendermode=1',

and with 'html5rendermode=1' the cube face resolution is limited by krpano on iOS to 1024 at the moment (for Safari stability),
    about the multiresolution tile loading - at the moment krpano is only using one level, and when searching for a 'compatible' level it is looking for level that is smaller than 1100 on iOS and smaller than 2200 on desktop,

these limits may change of course in future versions and maybe also in dependence on the used iOS version, I don't think that a 1400 pano will work very stable on iOS 4.* or iOS 5.0.* when using several panos in a tour together with some other images on the screen...

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!