strange resizing effect with distorted video

• A video example on my website is running for long now, but last week a guest told me about a new behavior of the distorted video. You will find the example here:

http://premiumpano.de/images/stories…video-panorama/

Until recently, the video (with transparency) was fairly matching with the background panorama. Now it is resizing slightly when you press the play button, which is completely destroying the effect of an unvisible video here. Sometimes reloading the page lets the video play in the old, matching way. The same effect is true for another video panorama on my site. I added a preload="true" with no success.

Any ideas? A recent flash player update, may be?

Yours,
    Michael

• Looks ok to me.
    Flash version 11,1,102,62
    How do you manage the accuracy of the transparency?
    I never figured out how to do it well. Is there a tutorial somewhere or some helpful tool?

Thank you for testing. Same Flash-version here.

I did this with Adobe After Effects. You have to apply - how shall I say... an animated path to establish the mask.

• Hi,

can you make a screenshot of the problem?

I know your example and for me it is still okay as is should...

best regards,
    Klaus

DAMN, it is working ok now again, indeed. I swear there was a clear difference to be seen there until today. And since another person made me aware of that problem, I was not drunk or something like that.

• Hi,

I have tested again and was able to see the problem and that you were still using an older krpano and videoplayer plugin version,
    please try at least updating the videoplayer.swf,

the reason for the problem - the pano and the video itself don't fit perfectly together (the video is bit larger) and the in the older videoplayer plugin the pausedonstart was not always working (may depend on the Flashplayer version) - so sometimes it paused the video already before the first video frame was there, that means the video was not visible until clicking on it to play, and this caused the 'resizing slightly' effect,

and this pausedonstart problem was fixed in the latest version of the videoplayer plugin,

best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks a lot, Klaus.

I did not see your answer until today, when again the problem became visible and I wanted to add 2 screenshots. I'll update the player.

You made my day - it's working like a charme again *smile*

Michael

Edited once, last by mstoss (April 28, 2012 at 12:16 PM).

• Hi Klaus,
    is it possible to enhance the videoplayer.js plugin so that we can use quicktime format mov?

Best Markus

No, as far as I know it is not. I remember a test made by Jürgen Schrader a while ago. He managed to implement a distorted video hotspot (a turning water mill), but I think that one was without transparency.

... edit: Sorry, just saw, that you are referring to Klaus regarding enhancing the videoplayer.js, not the transparency issue...

Edited once, last by mstoss (July 23, 2012 at 3:23 PM).

• Hi,

is it possible to enhance the videoplayer.js plugin so that we can use quicktime format mov?

there is a misunderstanding - the videoplayer plugin doesn't decode any videos by itself (that would be not possible), it just create as html5 video element and play the video with it. So only the video formats that are supported by the browser/system are possible.

No, as far as I know it is not. I remember a test made by Jürgen Schrader a while ago. He managed to implement a distorted video hotspot (a turning water mill), but I think that one was without transparency.

... edit: Sorry, just saw, that you are referring to Klaus regarding enhancing the videoplayer.js, not the transparency issue...

btw - about transparency - right, there is no video format with transparency in HTML5, but 'static' transparency could be simulated by using two overlaying hotspots:

• the first/lower distorted hotspot play the video,
    • and the second/higher distorted hotspot is a 'capture' image from the original background pano (which can be a bit bigger than the video hotspot) and this image will be 'png' image with an alpha channel and controls this way which parts of the video will be possible.

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!