• . or am I talking nonsense...?L(

Yes you are talking nonsense. DPI has nothing at all to do with this.

I hope I will later today get some screenshots from a friend with an iPad3 to see if there is a difference if you make them 200% in size and scale down to 0.5.

From his first screenshots I can say that the 2048 pixels cubefaces look like 2048 with the special KRpano code.

I have made some text updates now with a small font text in both 100 and 200% to check if any difference.

Hans

• There is always a difference between scaling down UI and designing for a specific size. Designing twice as big and scaling down with code maybe able to work with certain designs (very few) but generally it's going to get rasterized and pixellated and look sloppy.

If you want your UI to look nice and sharp on all devices, you have to design for each one.

• <display usedesktopimages="true" hardwarelimit="2048" devices="iPad+Retina" />

So what exactly is going on here?
    Is this multiresolution up to 2048? It would appear so.
    I'm afraid I don't like this setting very much.
    Each time the new tiles are loaded.. there is a black tile/hole first and panning stops while loading the image tile. Similar performance to the google JS viewer.
    It's not fun to lose the creamy smoothness.
    Perhaps the tiles should only be switched when there is not a touch event on the panorama and it'd be great not to have a hole first as the immersive-ness gets lost.

• Yes I am going to return to standard size or maybe 1400 pixels instead of using this.

The problem with iPad 3 is that it is incredibly slow to load the tile compared to my iPad 1.

I have just been in the city and tested it at the Apple store.

Even if they had a 20 mbit connection my new page with the special 2048 setting loaded so slow that it was just not useable.
    I just tried my iPad 1 using my 3G hotspot as connection. The speed is 3 mbit and the panos loads at least 4 times faster then they did on the iPad 3 with a 20 mbit connection.

And as Sacha says it seems to need to update the tiles all the time and you get black tiles showing up while you pan.
    I guess if you use full cubefaces it will be the same.

And as I have claimed all the time since the first rumors about the super Retina resolution, images are soft and fuzzy compared to the iPad 1 and 2.

I can not understand that Apple and also the whole internet "Nerdy" tech guys have not understood that this would happen.
    Any photographer with some experience could have told them that displaying images in a different resolution than 1 to 1is a bad idea.
    Making the images twice as large and setting them to scale 0.5 does not make it better unless you want people to zoom in on them.
    The only thing you get is 4 times as much memory use.

Hans

• Hi,

So what exactly is going on here?
    Is this multiresolution up to 2048? It would appear so.

there is currently no multiresolution in the krpanoJS viewer, it just loads one specific level,

Each time the new tiles are loaded.. there is a black tile/hole first and panning stops while loading the image tile.

when you see a black tile/hole then the Safari is already overloaded and busy - it is not longer able to keep all tiles at once in memory and so it swaps them constantly in and out - note these black tiles are Safari internal tiles, they don't reflect the input image tiles!

Yes I am going to return to standard size or maybe 1400 pixels instead of using this.

yes, for the moment ~1400px cubes + html5rendermode=2 for iOS 5.1 should be the best solution regarding to performance and stability, see my recommendation here at the end of this post:
    the NEW iPad

btw - also note - I'm already working on a solution that makes it possible to show much larger images in html5 (and iphone/ipad), but more details about that when ready (maybe in 1-2 months),

best regards,
    Klaus

• when you see a black tile/hole then the Safari is already overloaded and busy - it is not longer able to keep all tiles at once in memory and so it swaps them constantly in and out - note these black tiles are Safari internal tiles, they don't reflect the input image tiles!

iPad 1 = 250 mb Ram
    iPad3 = 1000 mb Ram

2048x2048 is 4 times as much memory as 1024.
    My guess is that the reason is that the GPU is not fast enough.

I never seen this black holes happen on my iPad1 or on my small 800mHZ Desire Z which also seems to be much faster and displays multi tile flashpanos up to 8192 pixels cubes much better than both , Motorola Xoom and Galaxy 10.1

Its obvious to me now that you need at least 5 devices for testing if you want to produce tours that work perfect on all types of Tablets and Smart phones.

Hans

• btw - also note - I'm already working on a solution that makes it possible to show much larger images in html5 (and iphone/ipad), but more details about that when ready (maybe in 1-2 months),

Hi Klaus!

Sounds great! We did a new pano for "Der Spiegel" recently - in their app it runs in extrenely fine quality . . they name it "HD". But this quality you get only as a subscriber to the magazin having the app.

here is our combined desktop/iPad version: http://360impressions.de/GrecoPan/

It´s fine on desktop and "old" iPads - but it´s pixeled on the new iPad. I don´t like to having made an app just for viewing our panos in an adaequate quality on the new iPads also . . *rolleyes*

best, Klaus

herzlichen Gruß, Klaus

--
    “Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance.”
    ― Coco Chanel

• Hi

I have created my first panorama and successfully launched it to the web. This looks good on my PC/Laptop. However my iPAD (I think iPAD 3) won't display the image. I get the message -

ERROR: Adobe Flashplayer 10.1 (or higher) required!

I loaded up all the source files and in following discussions on the Forum thought this should work.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thank you

Mike

• Performance is fine on the new iPad.

I'm probally selling my Ipad 2, and buy the new one too. I'm alsoo curious about the performance, since the resolution is 4-5x bigger then the current ipad 2. Although the graphic engine and processor are better. I'd guess it will even out, and perform the same.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!