The new detection options for iPad

• If I understand the new detection options I can not detect iPad1 from iPad2 but I can use the Retina option to detect iPad3.

I always used tiled images with 512 pixels without tablet images. This forces the iPad to use the 1024 level.
    But question is will the iPad 3 use 2048 automatically or do I need to ad a display setting like this.
    <display usedesktopimages="true" hardwarelimit="2048" devices="iPad+Retina" />

And if so do I also need to ad a display settings for iPad1+2 and iPhone like this
    <display usedesktopimages="true" hardwarelimit="1024" devices="iPad | iPhone+Retina" />

<image type="CUBE" multires="true" tilesize="512" progressive="false">
    <level tiledimagewidth="4096" tiledimageheight="4096">
    <cube url="panos/03.tiles/l4_%s_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    <level tiledimagewidth="2048" tiledimageheight="2048">
    <cube url="panos/03.tiles/l3_%s_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    <level tiledimagewidth="1024" tiledimageheight="1024">
    <cube url="panos/03.tiles/l2_%s_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>
    <level tiledimagewidth="512" tiledimageheight="512">
    <cube url="panos/03.tiles/l1_%s_%0v%0h.jpg" />
    </level>

</image>

Also maybe I could ad a 1400 tablet image and use this but the iPad 1+5.1 crashes if I ad a lot of extra videos or popup images.

<tablet> devices="iPad+iOS5.1"
    <cube url="panos/03.tiles/tablet_%s.jpg" />
    </tablet>

Hans

• Hi,

If I understand the new detection options I can not detect iPad1 from iPad2 but I can use the Retina option to detect iPad3.

right, detecting the iPad 2 itself is not possible,
    but by detecting an iPad and an Retina screen, it's possible to detect an iPad 3 (or in future iPad 4, 5, 6 or whatever...)

I always used tiled images with 512 pixels without tablet images. This forces the iPad to use the 1024 level.
    But question is will the iPad 3 use 2048 automatically or do I need to ad a display setting like this.
    <display usedesktopimages="true" hardwarelimit="2048" devices="iPad+Retina" />

yes, you need that setting - then the 2048px level will be used,

by default, that means without any settings, it will behave like on iPad 1 or 2 at the moment and use the 1024px level,
    I need to do real iPad 3 testing before I will change this default behavior,

And if so do I also need to ad a display settings for iPad1+2 and iPhone like this
    <display usedesktopimages="true" hardwarelimit="1024" devices="iPad | iPhone+Retina" />

that would be not necessary, when there are no <mobile> or <tablet> images, then the current version will already look for a suitable <level> size, which would be the 1024px level for iPad and iPhone4,

Also maybe I could ad a 1400 tablet image and use this but the iPad 1+5.1 crashes if I ad a lot of extra videos or popup images.

yes, that would be also a possibility of course,

btw - I should get my iPad 3 tomorrow or at least the day after tomorrow - then I will be able to do real iPad 3 testing and will be able to tell more details, then I will also adopt the viewer and tools to use (and generate if needed) higher resolution images for the iPad 3 automatically,

best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!