Testing 1400 pixel

• I already tested using 1400 pixels for IOS5.1 on my iPad1 some time ago with this demo.
    http://qtvr.dk/ipad-1400/

Even if it contains sound and a video + a slideshow it worked fine.

So I thought i would try it as standard for my tour for the National museum.
    But that does not work.
    Here is a test version. It has 1414 pixels tablet images on the first 4 panoramas. No 5-12 uses the 1024 level from the desktop images.
    http://virtualdenmark.dk/dnm1/
    Both uses the <display html5rendermode="2" setting

The loading and panning is very jumpy on the first 4 panoramas. if I manage to even load the first view without crashing. Apparently the difference from the first test is the hotspots and text boxes.
    The initial pano also has a video you can click to view.

If you go on to pano 5-12 everything work perfect.

I would appreciate some feedback from people with iPad 2 and 3

Hans

• Hi,

I have tested your tour now:

iPad 3 with iOS 5.1:

• pano 1 - the most time very smooth, but sometime shorts stops (the video seems to be the reason for that)
    • pano 2, 3 and 4 - fast loading and very smooth
    • pano 5-12 - slightly blocking during loading but then very smooth

iPad 2 with iOS 5.1

• pano 1 - sometimes smooth but also often short stops - here the memory seems to low for the video and the pano
    • pano 2, 3 and 4 - sometimes smooth, sometimes slightly blocking
    • pano 5-12 - fast loading and very smooth

iPad 1 with iOS 4.3.3

• Safari crashes constantly
    • for that iOS version - the html5rendermode=2 is too much!
      but I think with html5rendermode=1 it should run almost stable...

btw - maybe also try using the latest version from here - the tiled loading should be slightly faster with it...

best regards,
    Klaus

• Thanks for the tests.

Based on it I have also done some more and unfortunately it does not seam to be any idea in using larger cubefaces on iPad1 or 2 but maybe oniPad3.

I have been in at least 5 stores to test both iPad and Android devices. It is not easy to find the Android tablets in stores here in Denmark setup with internet connection to test.
    However I got at least 5 different tablets checked.

First of all the <display html5rendermode="2"> can not be used on the krpano 16.03 and 24.04.
    On all iPads even on iPad 3 it makes panning very bad with stuttering and with hesitations. iPad 1 crashes constantly with it.
    It does work on the rendering though, much better than in my first tests which used krpano from 20.02

Attached are 2 images with screenshots which shows the effect.
    Using the 2048 cubefaces on 1Pad 3 does absolutely give you the full sharpness but loading can be very slow and until all tiles are loaded performance is not good.

I also experienced the black tiles I have got reported from others but I am not sure if it is because of slow connection or something else.
    The download speed as I tested it was not bad, I got 5 mbit in tests from speedtest.net. Here is a video which shows how the black tiles suddenly starts just after I checked one of the info popups.
    http://qtvr.dk/test/ipad3tiles.mov
    Also just waiting with the pano idle for 15 sec made them come when you started panning again.

As I expected the iPad 3 is very bad for all you images. Unless you mage logos, texts and navigation buttons in 200% they look like shit.
    The whole idea of using a resolution of this size this way is just simply stupid, I pointed it out when I heard the rumors first time. I can see the effect on all websites with images, especially when there is text included.
    To increase images to 200% is not a good idea if you have a lot of popups. as 200% means 400% larger download.

Another problem is that on both iPad 2 and 3 the poster images sometimes did not load. I just got a black screen which started the video when I clicked on it.
    I never seen this problem on my iPad1.

Android is a different case. My HTC Desire Z works perfect . The large Tablets with 1280x800 are very slow and its obvious that it is because they load all my 3 first levels at same time.
    Using the tablet images they work acceptable but I do not dare including any videos.
    There was also on several of them including Samsung Galaxy 10.1 some problems with small png buttons. They loaded as "corrupt" images which sometimes took 1 minut before they loaded correct.

Hans

• Your popups are all image or background and txtfield? You could save a lot of downloading by by using textfield instead.
    Using sprites helps download latency and you can set it so only ipad3 gets bigger images by writing more complex xml.

I think performance failures have to do with your tile sizes. Can you make a matrix/table of your findings including device, settings, and also tile size? I set htmlrendermode 2 and didnt notice any problems on an ipad3, but i have not increased my tablet size.

• Sacha

Just look at the images for the size of the tablets,

It has nothing to do with file sizes of the popups.
    It is the hotspot layers.
    Here is a new test using the <display html5rendermode="2">

http://qtvr.dk/vtour/

First panorama has no hotspots. Still you can if you pan up and down get the problem and also sometimes when you pan around.
    Now go to pano 2 which has just 4 hotspots. They are not even distorted.

The result is that it just does not work any more. Panning is almost impossible without crash on my iPad1.

The effect of the rendermode 2 is fine though.

And I do not use HTML text. Its awful to do any decent design with it as CSS works different and almost not at all in flash.

Hans

• I thought you said panning was bad on even an ipad3 with <display html5rendermode="2">.
    I can not duplicate your results on my own tours.

I haven't noticed any discrepancies on my textfield + background image popups across different machines. It does have to be tweaked from flash to html5 however.

• As well as iPad3 and 1.

The effect on iPad 3 may very well get around you if you have not seen what it does on iPad1 and 2.

I said in the first report that krpano from 28.02 worked fine with <display html5rendermode="2"> and 1400 pixels tablet images

I was wrong, I just did not have any hotspots in those panos even if I have a 4 image slideshow , combibox sound and a large video.

Here is the test http://qtvr.dk/vtour/2.html
    with tour.js exhanged to 28.02 version and just these hotspots on pano 2.

<hotspot name="tex1" alpha="0.6" scale="0.5" zoom="false"
    url="spots/info2.png" ath="-62" atv="2" />

<hotspot name="tex2" alpha="0.6" scale="0.5" zoom="false"
    url="spots/info2.png" ath="21" atv="7" />

<hotspot name="tex3" alpha="0.6" scale="0.5" zoom="false"
    url="spots/info2.png" ath="60" atv="19" />

<hotspot name="tex4" alpha="0.6" scale="0.5" zoom="false"
    url="spots/info2.png" ath="90" atv="18" />

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!