Performance issue when using a beamer

• Now that we have solved the issue with flash versions the customer is reporting a performance issue when he is displaying the panorama with a beamer.
    They are using MacMinis with OS 10.4 and 10.5 and said on the computer screen it looks fine but the automovements I had implemented are extremely stuttering as soon as they use the beamer (which is the main purpose as the panoramas will be usd in an exhibition at a museum).

Is this a known problem when using external video devices?
    Anything I could do to improve performance besides reducing tilesizes?

Any hint is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Jürgen

• Hi,

Is this a known problem when using external video devices?

no, krpano will be played/shown via the Flashplayer, there is no direct hardware/device access from krpano, so from that perspective it doesn't matter where the Flashplayer/browser window will be shown...

when the performance is okay on the normal monitor and the beamer also shows the same size/resolution/framerate, then the problem might be related to the graphic-card and operation systems...

Anything I could do to improve performance besides reducing tilesizes?

can you show the problematic pano?
    maybe there are settings/changes possible there to improve the performance with it...

best regards,
    Klaus

• Thank you, Klaus.
    Do you need to see it or would the code do it for now?

• Do you need to see it or would the code do it for now?

there is nothing performance related to see in the posted code

what about the included xml files?

btw - there is a small error in your xml - this part 'shortestway(false)' doesn't work, just 'false' would be correct,

best regards,
    Klaus

• Thank you for debugging *wink*
    There are no inlcudes used here, they are all <!-- [...] -->

The customer is running them as standalone Flashplayer in fullscreen mode.
    I sent them a version with the options plugin, maybe they can test with different diaply settings?
    Anything you would recommend for least load on CPU and GPU?

• I would assume that using a beamer would make it smoother as they usually do not have a high resolution and screen resolution is what has the largest effect on performance for flash.
    The beamer is still using the same Graphic card isn't it.

The flash version also is important as there are large differences. The last update of Flash 11 was an big improvement but you can not use it on Tiger.

Hans

• Hi,

Anything you would recommend for least load on CPU and GPU?

I would recommend keeping the default setting as they are and look at the Flashplayer itself:

• make sure that the Standalone Flashplayer is up to date
    • if up-to-date, maybe try also older versions
    • try the pano on the beamer with enabled and disabled Flashplayer hardware acceleration (changeable in the Flashplayer settings, restart the Flashplayer after each change), when the 'GPU-blitting' on the beamer is the problem (because of too limited GPU resources), then disabling the hardware acceleration can also improve the performance.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• With the use of the options plugin the customer found out that it worked best for them when quality settings were all HIGH and sharpen=0.
    Also the time for the movements was reduced and now it seems acceptable.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!