Multi-resolution cube pano from tiles?

• Hi all!

i got a huge pano sliced into the 72 parts and i wolud like to get a cube pano.
    i dont like how the sphere pano looks like - there are a lot of funny deformations at zenith and nadir *g*
    i've tried to get the multiresolution pano in cube format - to prevent image deformation at zenith, but these mode is not supported by kmakemultires v 1.0.7 beta 8.
    so i've tried to get a cube pano from a set of tiles - but it is also not supported by kransform *cry*
    i cant stitch all tiles in one file - its size is larger than 4gb.

so my question is: how can i get multi-res cube pano from the set of tiles?

• Hi,

did you make photoshop large file?? why can't you stich ...4GB+ in tiffs??
    put whole pano in teh sphere to cube droplet and then all the cube parts at once in the multi res droplet..

That will do ... i think.

Cheers

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Hi,

did you make photoshop large file?? why can't you stich ...4GB+ in tiffs??
    put whole pano in teh sphere to cube droplet and then all the cube parts at once in the multi res droplet..

That will do ... i think.

Cheers

Tuur *thumbsup*

hi!

no, i did 72 tif files. i used the slicer tool to speed up stitching.
    it is impossible to get tif file larger than 4gb due to its format restrictrions *wacko*
    my stitched pano is about 55000x27500 pixels. and it is slightly more than 4gb *g*

and the .psb files are also not supported. aren't they?

• Hi,

55000x27500 is not "that" large

you could try to combine the tiles into one image with the kmaketiles tool
    and then use the ktransform tool on it,

e.g.

Code
    kmaketiles tiles_%v_%u.tif singleimage.tif 0 -insize=55500x27500 -intilesize=1000x1000 -inindexbase=1 -tiffcompress=zip -tiffnoalpha

(where -intilesize=1000x1000 defines the size of the input tiles)

with the usage of ZIP as compression and the removing of an potential alpha channel (-tiffnoalpha)
    it could be possible to keep the tiff file size below 4 GB.

and the .psb files are also not supported. aren't they?

it's planned, but it can still take some time...

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi!
    thanks for your reply!

Hi,

55000x27500 is not "that" large

its just the begining ;-)*g*

you could try to combine the tiles into one image with the kmaketiles tool
    and then use the ktransform tool on it,

e.g.

Code
    kmaketiles tiles_%v_%u.tif singleimage.tif 0 -insize=55500x27500 -intilesize=1000x1000 -inindexbase=1 -tiffcompress=zip -tiffnoalpha

(where -intilesize=1000x1000 defines the size of the input tiles)

with the usage of ZIP as compression and the removing of an potential alpha channel (-tiffnoalpha)
    it could be possible to keep the tiff file size below 4 GB.

ok, this will give me another set of tiles.
    but my problem is that i cant get multi-res cubic pano from the set of tiles.
    as i can see, the kmaketiles produce only spherical multires-panorams from tiles.
    in this case there are some distortions at the zenith - check this image:

this is spherical pano with
    you can see a number of distortions at the spire (believe my, in real life it is straightway).
    when i set details = "32" these distortions becomes less visible, but they are still present.

so i think that is this case the cube pano will get me more quality.
    bwt, what are the pros and cons of sphere representation of panorama? i can see just significant quality reduction at the zenith *sad*

• ok, this will give me another set of tiles.

no, the kmaketiles tool can also be used to join a set of tiles
    and then to use this single image for the ktransform tool

so i think that is this case the cube pano will get me more quality.
    bwt, what are the pros and cons of sphere representation of panorama? i can see just significant quality reduction at the zenith *sad*

yes, a cubical pano will be better,
    a sphere has curved surface which can be only approximated with linear elements,
    cubes have linear faces which which can be drawn correctly (provided that Flash10 and krpano 1.0.8 are used)

(a other note - you could also try a higher details value then 32, e.g. 40, but I would recommend trying
    to convert it to cube )

best regards,
    Klaus

• HI,

no, the kmaketiles tool can also be used to join a set of tiles
    and then to use this single image for the ktransform tool

ok, i'll try this way. thanks!

yes, a cubical pano will be better,
    a sphere has curved surface which can be only approximated with linear elements,
    cubes have linear faces which which can be drawn correctly (provided that Flash10 and krpano 1.0.8 are used)

(a other note - you could also try a higher details value then 32, e.g. 40, but I would recommend trying
    to convert it to cube )

increasing the "details" parameter significantly slown down rendering speed on my q9600. it is pretty fast with 16 but slows down at 32. at 40 it is looks like turn-based strategy *blink*

is it possible to implement feature "get cube multires pano from tiles"? that would be great for me *rolleyes*

• increasing the "details" parameter significantly slown down rendering speed on my q9600. it is pretty fast with 16 but slows down at 32. at 40 it is looks like turn-based strategy *blink*

yes, more details is more work for the flash renderer and will slow it down (especially the flash10 one)
    in the 1.0.8 beta version you can press TAB to see the internal triangles that where used for rendering,

with cubes much fewer elements are necessary, and the quality will be better and it will be also faster,

is it possible to implement feature "get cube multires pano from tiles"? that would be great for me *rolleyes*

yes, maybe in one of the next versions

best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi!

I have 2 original panorama's that got lost.
    I do still have the PTP output.

I can use the make panorama from cube, but only for non multi res cubes.
    In this thread I am reading about using kmaketiles to convert multi res tiles back to a big spherical image.

But no explanations where this tool is, and how to use it. Please advise thanks

An update of the droplet or separate droplet similar to make sphere from cube would be great!

Thanks!

Stijn

• Hi,

I would like to see a make multires setting that makes it impossible to re-construct an equirectangular from multires tiles sets.
    Just to protect the panos from a client that wants to use the panos for other use / re-use.
    I think most photographers don't sell the pano, but just the production and use in a specific product (virtual tour).

Tuur *thumbsup*

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!