Mobile images: Use dedicated cube faces or re-use multires?

• Hi there,

Just wondering: What is "better" -- to use dedicated cube faces for the HTML5 viewer or to just re-use the multi-res tiles created for Flash anyway?

By better I mean things like possible output resolution and memory use (stability). I understand that in most cases we are working on the edge of what is possible in terms of memory on iPhones / iPads. So if I used 6 tiles of 1024x1024 pixels or 24 tiles of 512x512 (4 per cube faces) -- which one will be easier on the memory? What other difference will it make? I guess using more tiles might increase the loading speed of the page (assuming the tiles are loaded with priority given to those that are currently "in view")?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Florian

• Hi,

difficult to answer...
    Dedicated image might be better because fewer images = fewer loading/decoding overhead, but on the other side - smaller images = faster decoding, but therefore more images to load and to decode...

I haven't made any statistical tests about that, so I can't answer that question for sure, maybe just try it with own examples and compare...

And also note - the loading/decoding speed can vary from iOS version to iOS verions and device to device (iPad 1,2,3 and iPhone 3,3S,4,4S,...) - and of course - also the krpano versions can change here from version to version...

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi there,

Just wondering: What is "better" -- to use dedicated cube faces for the HTML5 viewer or to just re-use the multi-res tiles created for Flash anyway?

By better I mean things like possible output resolution and memory use (stability). I understand that in most cases we are working on the edge of what is possible in terms of memory on iPhones / iPads. So if I used 6 tiles of 1024x1024 pixels or 24 tiles of 512x512 (4 per cube faces) -- which one will be easier on the memory? What other difference will it make? I guess using more tiles might increase the loading speed of the page (assuming the tiles are loaded with priority given to those that are currently "in view")?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Florian

I used the 512-1024-2048-4096 way before with 1024 for iPad but I have changed it completely , not just because the larger cubefaces you can use for iPad3 but because it was a waste of bandwidth to load 3 levels on desktops.

The truth is that for 85% of the desktop users you only need 1500-1600-
    With 3 levels loading you use up to 8mb for each pano. By using 800 tiles and 1600 as level 1 you can get down to just 2 mb per user. Most people do not zoom in so they do not use the larger cubefaces.

I now use two sets for iPad,Android and iPhone. 1024 size iPhone and 1414 tablets. The iPhone images i set to iPhone and iPad. Tee 1414 goes to iPad+Retina and Android.

Hans

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!