Max Video Resolution for Smooth Playback

• Hi,

I am looking for opinions on 360 video resolution. What do you think the maximum resolution might be for smooth playback on an iPad?

We will be producing a rendered animation so we can render to any resolution. Originally we were going to render the animation at 6000wx3000h but now we are concerned that this may be to much for the iPad to decompress on playback.

I am using the iPad 3, but of course we would want this to work on the iPad to as well.

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Travis

• yes, you're right - as to my knowledge you can't play an interactive 360 video on any ipad (1-3) due to limitations of the krpano js player. regarding file size/resolution of 360 video in general - 6000x3000 would be an absolutly overkill to display (even on a desktop system). have you calculated how big the file would be with different encoding/bitrate settings? i guess the file would be huge to download and display with proper quality settings.

furthermore there are some video framesize limitations in some fileformats - for example the maximum width of a video flv-file can't be bigger than 1920px (thats my experience)

hope that helps.

cheers

• Hmmm. Disappointing about no 360 video on the iPad. We have been researching standalone 360 video apps for the iPad but they leave a lot to be desired.

...as for the 3000x6000 I was using this as a target because it is the lowest we can go for a image VR on the iPad before it starts to break down and pixels become visible. We are a architectural visualization company and utilize VR's for better understanding and study of the space.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!