You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to krpano.com Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HansNyb

Professional

• "HansNyb" started this thread

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 2:12pm

iPad3 rendering error

While doing some tests with cubeface sizes for iPad 3 I discovered that I had a rendering error on this pano.
http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen6/f40-rio-de-janeiro.html

In the first place I thought it had to do with the tablet images which was 1414 and with using htmlrendermode="2"

My iPad 1 which uses the mobil 1024 cubefaces sdid not have the error. So I changed the iPad 3 to the same cubefaces and removed the htmlrenderingmode="2"
I had to make amark onthe cubface to make sure that it actually was the same. iPad 3 is very bad at loading cached cubefaces even if you delete the cache.

But the error persisted as you can see on the screenshots. Another weird thing is that the iPad 3 seems to be slightly sharper even with this 1024pixel-
Note that the screenshot was 2048 and reduced to 1024 to compare it. I did this with the smooth interpolation in PS which is actually for enlargement just to be sure that I did not sharpen it.

The error seems to only be in one of the a seems so it may be difficult to find it. The seem is between the _f and _r tile.
I now need to go through my other panos and see if I can find the same.

Hans
HansNyb has attached the following image:
  • ipad3-rendering-error.jpg

HansNyb

Professional

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 2:21pm

I did not need to look much. Already found same problem on the first pano I checked.
Same tiles _f +_r

The viewer is the last version.

Tuur

Sage

Occupation: Krpano custom coding / Virtual Tours / Photography / Musician / Recording engineer

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 2:38pm

Hi Hans,

i confirm that on your link and i also see more tiles that are 'off'
look down, the guy with the blue shirt and then just abit to the right -up..

Tuur *thumbsup*
Tuur has attached the following image:
  • hans.jpg
http://www.virtualtuur.com

HansNyb

Professional

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 3:05pm

Yes found it. Only on iPad3. No problem on iPad1.

Hans

HansNyb

Professional

Thursday, September 27th 2012, 3:42pm

I have found the problem. The page uses iFrame

This is a link directly to the same content.
http://www.panoramas.dk/7-wonders/seven-wonders/corcovado/

It does not show the errors on iPad3.
This is rather serious as I base all my new pages on iFrame.

I have also tested using the version from 2012-06-03 and it has the same.

Hans

HansNyb

Professional

Friday, September 28th 2012, 9:25am

I have tried to do some small changes to the iframe without any luck the rendering error persist at them.

Then yesterday I was installing some other browsers to see how they perform on the new iPad.

I found a new browser called Mercury which is in my opinion and also from the reviews absolutely the best browser for iPad. It beats all the other well known ones like Chrome, iCab and Dolphin, etc.

To my surprise the rendering error does not show on the Mercury. I tested Chrome, Dolphin and iCab which all have it exactly like Safari but Mercury has no problem at all.

This browser has fullscreen and a lot of other options and it seems also to be faster than any of the others.
There is a free one and a $1 but I have not been able to find the difference.
HansNyb has attached the following images:
  • safari2.jpg
  • mercury.jpg

Friday, September 28th 2012, 10:03am

Hi,

the problem is a combination of an 'scaled' non-1:1 display (because of the iframe) and the html5rendermode="2".

When the 'outer page', which contains the iframe doesn't have a 1:1 viewport meta settings (see here for details - http://krpano.com/docu/html/#mobilenotes), then Safari will render the inner iframe at at different size and scales it in some way. This automatic scaling introduces inaccuracy and can also make the whole image smoother, more blur. Because of that inaccuracy and scaling, the cube edges can become visible and to avoid this, the cube faces need to be 'overlapped' a bit. In the default html5rendermode=1 mode, this is no problem, there the overlapping edges will be generated when needed, but in html5rendermode=2 mode the images will be directly displayed as they are and there only solution in this situation is too overlap the images slightly...

For version 1.0.9, I'm planning an optional cube-overlap setting (need to be done already during image creation in the tools) for this special case, but at the moment I would simply recommend using the default html5rendermode=1.

Best regards,
Klaus

HansNyb

Professional

Friday, September 28th 2012, 10:16am

Thanks, I just found out that contrary to what I believed I still had html5rendermode2 as a general setting in the skin for these ones. But that does not explain why the Mercury browser renders it fine and also it does not explain why only 2 out of the 7 7-wonders panoramas had the problem. They all used the same skin.

I thought all browsers on iPad uses the same webkit.

Hans

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "HansNyb" (Sep 28th 2012, 11:14am)

Friday, September 28th 2012, 12:58pm

It depends on the page scaling inside the iframe, maybe this can be different between the browsers...