Future Android and html5 issues

• Dear All

My understanding is that beyond Android 4 (ice cream sandwich) flash will no longer be supported on Android. The Android browser has issues (as documented by Klaus) and the Android chrome browser does not fully support css 3d transforms. I also tested firefox on android which only partially worked.

So I wonder what will happen when Android 5 becomes available? Could we face the situation that with no flash support, and with the absence of CSS 3D our VT's will not work on Android? Having virtual tours that will run across a range of platforms is fast becoming a standard expectation with our clients. With Apple we have relatively few devices and OS's to test on. Andoid is much more complex with so many versions and implementations.

This is not something that Klaus can 'fix' as it requires browsers to fully support html5.

I'd welcome comments as to whether firstly I've understood the current issues correctly and how we move forward as a community, perhaps we can all document and share what works on which devices so we build up greater common knowledge.

I look forward to your comments.

Tim

• Hi!

I'd just like to join to trek's question. Apparently the HTML5 version has issues on PC not just Android, see my post:

Cube Image lines visible on HTML5 viewer

IMHO Flash will lose much of its importance due to HTML5 on a long term. Many things that could be done only with Flash are possible without this third-party plugin: online games, video, and so on. As a strategy I would prefer krPano to focus on HTML5 and I think all we need to do is wait for browsers to get better over time.

• Hi,

So I wonder what will happen when Android 5 becomes available?

Sorry, but no one (except Google) will be really able to answer that...
    But I would expect that Google will update the Android Chrome some day of course - at the moment it is still on Version 18, which is already a several versions behind the Desktop version.

I'd just like to join to trek's question. Apparently the HTML5 version has issues on PC not just Android, see my post:

That is not direct a viewer problem - it's because Google has changed the CSS rendering in the newer Chrome versions!
    And the next krpano release will fix that of course.

As a strategy I would prefer krPano to focus on HTML5

The focus is already on HTML5 of course!
    What let you think that this is not the case?

Best regards,
    Klaus

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!