easy way to make an app for iPad from virtual tour?

• Hi all,
    does anybody have some knowledge how to transform virtual tour into the iPad app?
    There are several threads about which apps can be used for opening the tour, but this is not very good solution for me, as the client wants to use my tour in many branches on many iPads and it would be complicated for his employees to install some html reader app first and then my tour... (Actually this is not a big problem, but to download it just once, as a "standalone" app would be much more comfortable...)
    Any ideas?
    Thank you!

Best regards,
    Igor Socha

• The easiest may is to embed your tour in a ibook.

hmm, but this seems to be what I actually don´t want. I want to make an app from my tour, which can be downloaded directly from apple store then.
    I did not test ibook yet, but I expect it is another solution to read html and other content, or?

Best regards,
    Igor Socha

• iBooks can be published in the official iBooks store. It may take some time to get it published though.
    The user than needs to Search for it in the iBooks store from the iPad iBooks just like you do from APP store.
    You can also publish it from your website as long as it is free but that means you need to load it to the iBook on the iPad through iTunes.

The easiest way is still to use one of the readers that support direct down load of a zipped tour.
    The easiest ones are HTML Books and Site-2-Go HD

HTML Books is just $1 and you can install your Tours just by writing the url to you Zip file from the menu.

• thanx for the response,
    now I was thinking about it more... my tour has 85MB and I think it is quite enough for one app, while at the same time if using safari and online version - only those panoramic data will be downloaded, which user wants to open
    and for the offline preview - yes, I am using html books already for one year, I just somehow wanted to "compile" my tour into an app = one file. U know, I can´t ask everybody in that company to download html books first and then download my zip
    but perhaps there is no easier solution ...

another question is regarding html books - it doesn´t support more tabs/windows. so if I have some openUrl,_blank links in my tour, when I open it, I can go just back and this will load my tour from the starting point. Any idea, how to manage this? Is there any app, which can handle more then one tab/window and can open krpano virtual tour?

Best regards,
    Igor Socha

• I am linking to external website with onclick="openUrl(something,_blank")
    Normally, if I open my tour online, in web browser (in iPad this means Safari), when clicking on this link, it opens the website in new tab/window because of "_blank" parameter. However, if I open the tour offline in html books and try to open this link, it opens in the same window, this means when I want to go back, I will get back to the start point of my presentation, and that is not good. I need the solution, which allows user to open the link in new, separate window or tab...
    thanx

edit> to understand: I am linking some materials (datasheets, videos), which are online and I want that the user will not lose the connection by closing this separate window, so that he can continue in virtual tour

Best regards,
    Igor Socha

• That is not correct. I just checked and when you open another website you automatically get an arrow activated to the right of the Home button. Using that you go back to the panorama you left in the tour.

This is as far as I know not something you can do in an APP. In an App you probably open it in Safari and you have to go back to the desktop and activate the App again or you have to make a special menu button in the App back to the panorama.
    In HTML Books you do not need that as the back button appears automatically

Hans

Edited 2 times, last by HansNyb (March 8, 2013 at 6:20 PM).

• That is not correct. I just checked and when you open another website you automatically get an arrow activated to the right of the Home button. Using that you go back to the panorama you left in the tour.

This is as far as I know not something you can do in an APP. In an App you probably open it in Safari and you have to go back to the desktop and activate the App again or you have to make a special menu button in the App back to the panorama.
    In HTML Books you do not need that as the back button appears automatically

Hans

:) what do U mean by panorama? panorama xml, or scene?
    because in my case it will start from the start. however my tour is special :)
    I didn´t want to show it, because it is still not finished yet completelly, but ok here you are:
    http://www.virtualguide.sk/oms/final/final3/

Best regards,
    Igor Socha

Edited 3 times, last by igor.socha: updated link (March 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM).

• I can not see why it should not work,
    You should return to the same scene by using the back button.

The tour does not work on iPad though as you have an error in the skin. I get fatal error.

I can only find one outgoing link on the OMS logo.

Hans

• I can not see why it should not work,
    You should return to the same scene by using the back button.

The tour does not work on iPad though as you have an error in the skin. I get fatal error.

I can only find one outgoing link on the OMS logo.

Hans

some proxy cache problem, the version was updated already before, however changes were not visible, so I changed path to final1, try it again please, it is now working on iPad...

but I tested it again - and like I said, it opens the tour from the start :( I pick some light, some of them have link to an external datasheet or youtube video. if I click on it it opens the website and like U said the back arrow appears. but by clicking on it the tour will load from the start. maybe my code should be written somehow differently to handle this, I don´t know...but better for me would be to have the app with possibility to open the link in separate tab, like in normal browser.

Best regards,
    Igor Socha

Edited once, last by igor.socha (March 8, 2013 at 7:56 PM).

• Sorry but I can not find any of those links. The link to the Website works exactly as I said.

The interface is extremely confusing especially on iPad.

What is this vertical transparent banner in the center doing. It blocks from seeing everything.

If you want t show a youtube video why do you not make a popup with it.
    You can just link the video directly to the tour.

Opening new pages in a new tab is a very bad idea as you can be sure it will accumulate memory use and sooner or later you crash the tour.

Hans

• what do U mean by vertical transparent banner in the center? Did it load completely? U mean already after "welcome screen", when U already see the showroom?

As for the youtube - I tried to find how to do this, but was not successful. I am missing the .flv file to get linked with + what about crossdomain problems?
    I think I better forbid all external links for offline viewing...

Best regards,
    Igor Socha

Edited once, last by igor.socha (March 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM).

• Hi igor, first of all congrat for your work, i find it really amazing

i think that digital Publishing Suite from Adobe is what you are looking for....allows you to design “multimedia brochures” much more flexible than ibook and also much more “device independent *wink* to start with i would download on your ipad from app store “DPS tips” by Bob bringhurst....then open “overlay Basics folio” and goo to “web content” chapter.....there is explained how to insert or embeed html (local or external)...i´ve managed to build a virtual tour structured in pages..each page with it´s own krpano pano embeeded...but can be multinodal also

have a look at it.....and please don´t ask more...i just like to play with different options...and i find DPS a really interesting one

good luck

• Hi igor, first of all congrat for your work, i find it really amazing

i think that digital Publishing Suite from Adobe is what you are looking for....allows you to design “multimedia brochures” much more flexible than ibook and also much more “device independent *wink* to start with i would download on your ipad from app store “DPS tips” by Bob bringhurst....then open “overlay Basics folio” and goo to “web content” chapter.....there is explained how to insert or embeed html (local or external)...i´ve managed to build a virtual tour structured in pages..each page with it´s own krpano pano embeeded...but can be multinodal also

have a look at it.....and please don´t ask more...i just like to play with different options...and i find DPS a really interesting one

good luck

Hi,
    this looks really interesting for me! thanx for bringing this idea. Seems to be not so easy, but I think it is worth to learn to work with it...
    Perhaps I´ll try to play with it with next projects.
    Thanx again!

Best regards,
    Igor Socha

• Hi Nupsi....info must flow i think...i found out that it was possible....i told it .....and no...not public demo...is a work in progress

do it yourself (diy)...is the best way

good luck

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!