180 degrees cylindrical panorama + html5 workaround? SOLVED

• Hi,

I've created a virtual tour for a local museum and everything's been going smoothly until today when I installed the html5 addon and tested it out on my iPhone and iPad. The virtual tour has 5 rooms, 4 of which are spacy enough for a full 360 degree cylindrical panorama and then one that was so small that I ended up taking pictures just for a 180 degree cylindrical panorama. I created the virtual tour with this one room determined as cylindrical 180 degrees panorama and it works just fine on desktop computer browser, but not with the mobile device.

Reading this forum a bit, it seems that partial panoramas aren't supported in html5. What sort of a workaround should I use with this case, then? Should I double the width of the actual 180 degree panorama file and have half of it just blank, create a 360 degree cylindrical panorama out of that and then just limit the field of view in that to 180 degrees?

Thanks in advance! The tour's visible at http://users.metropolia.fi/~matiast/vtour-suomi/tour.html, xml file at http://users.metropolia.fi/~matiast/vtour-suomi/tour.xml . I've deleted the device="flash" part from the problem room at least but after that it just gives a "No HTML5 compatible images available" error so I suppose I need some other kind of a workaround.

EDIT: okay, it did indeed work like that, so if anyone else has this sorts of trouble, you can use this workaround. So instead of a 180 degree panorama, make a 360 degree one that's double the width of your 180 panorama image size. Leave the 180 panorama on the left side, fill right side with a blank color of your choice. Make the tour as usual with every room as 360 degrees there and then in the XML file add hlookatmin="-180" hlookatmax="0" to the <view> XML element of that particular scene. After that the partial panorama works with mobile html5 as well.

Edited once, last by matiast (April 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!