krPano 1.16.1 - new 'onready' and 'onerror' function not working under IE7 and IE8

• Hello everybody, Hello Klaus!

The newly released krPano version brought (beside that extremly cool WebGL rendering) some pretty new features along.
    One amongst them is the possible callback 'onready', that the krPano player now calls after the embeding is done.
    Sadly this (and probably also the onerror) callback is not executed in IE7 and IE8.

I prepared two little examples, that will demonstrate this:

Both links are just slightly modified versions of the 'demo.html' that is bundled with the download package of krPano. They both should show an alert box when the embeding is done.

http://goo.gl/ZL0D3
    This one needs to be run under a REAL IE7 or IE8 because the new 'demo.html' comes with the following meta-tag:

Code
    <meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=edge" />

http://goo.gl/LCcBL
    In the second one i removed this meta tag and now just setting the browser-mode to IE7 or IE8 in the Debug-Tools of IE9 or IE10 will lead to krPano not executing the callbacks anymore...

I don't really now why this is (...?) but it is sooooooooooo anoying. I rewrote the whole start sequence of my project only to now not be able to start any tour in my two least favaourite browsers.

Any chance of a fix?

And while I am at it... *cool* ...one more question:

Why does the krPano need a xml file for the whole embedding? I use dynamicaly created xml files that are passed as a string to krPano. Works like a charme...except for the embedding part.
    Would it be possible to omit the first file or to simply pass 'null' without krPano complaning about it?

As ever: Best Regards and thanks for the amazing work

• Hi,

I don't really now why this is (...?) but it is sooooooooooo anoying. I rewrote the whole start sequence of my project only to now not be able to start any tour in my two least favaourite browsers.

Any chance of a fix?

Thanks for this note - the reason was a special IE6-IE8 limitation that I wasn't aware about - in the next release this will be fixed.

Why does the krPano need a xml file for the whole embedding? I use dynamicaly created xml files that are passed as a string to krPano. Works like a charme...except for the embedding part.
    Would it be possible to omit the first file or to simply pass 'null' without krPano complaning about it?

Passing null as xml is possible - e.g.

Code
    embedpano({swf:"krpano.swf", xml:null, target:"pano", onready:krpanoReady});

function krpanoReady(krpano)
    {
      krpano.call("loadxml("+ ... +")");
    }

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Well this are indeed great news...especially that passing null as value for the initial xml when embedding the krPano is possible *thumbup*
    I actually never tried passing null, i just omitted the attribute and got an error message from the player. *whistling*

Mind telling me, which exact limitation the IE prior to version 9 causes this?
    This sure would be the 1000th special case those Microsoft browsers force us developers to make extra adjustments, but maybe this is something that I am not aware of and will have to account for sometime too...

• Hi,

I actually never tried passing null, i just omitted the attribute and got an error message from the player.

When no xml setting is set, then the default xml file loading (xml file with the same name as the swf file) will happening. Therefore its necessary to set it manually to null.

Mind telling me, which exact limitation the IE prior to version 9 causes this?
    This sure would be the 1000th special case those Microsoft browsers force us developers to make extra adjustments, but maybe this is something that I am not aware of and will have to account for sometime too...

The onready callback internally adds a temporary function to the Javascript 'window' object and deletes it later after usage.
    But in IE6, IE7 and IE8 the deleting of properties from the 'window' object is not possible and causes an exception. And this was the reason for the not working of the onready callback. In the next release this exception will be catched.

Here the same problem is described:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1073…-property-in-ie

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Ah yes...I stumbled over this problem once or twice already...its a pretty mean one.

Okay, I will gladly wait for the next release then. *squint*

Thanks for the (as always) quick answer.

Regards and best wishes

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!