kprotect: more flexible subdomain handling

• i'm busy with a universal panorama engine project where my contractor is renting this engine to his clients and hosting it for them under several subdomains (e.g. client1.his-domain.com).

during my development i'm simulating this situation on my devlopment server in this way: client1.his-domain.my-dev-domain.com.

that lead me to troubles with the kprotect tool (version 1.0.8.14 and 15) and a tedious search for a solution (i didn't find anything here in the forum):
    if i'm adding more then one subdomain level, kprotect's domain limitation algorithm isn't working anymore.
    here are some examples with subdomains and their respective domain limitation entries in kprotect:

client1.his-domain.my-dev-domain.com
    => throws a license error with:

• my-dev-domain.com
    • *.my-dev-domain.com
    • *my-dev-domain.com
    • *.*.my-dev-domain.com

=> works only (explicitely) with:

• client1.his-domain.my-dev-domain.com (which is useless for my purpose)

next try (using only one sub domain level):
    client1-his-domain.my-dev-domain.com
    => works with

• my-dev-domain.com

so obviously kprotect / krpano accepts only one subdomain "level" ("one dot allowed"), which seems to be not flexible enough for some development and multi client projects.
    it would be very nice to have a more granular control which would be useful for dev work like described above and some scenarios where a big client e.g. runs a main website under hisdomain.com, a panorama section under panos.hisdomain.com and then has e.g. contributing/paying users/clients under user-or-client-number-xxx.panos.hisdomain.com. it should be possible to limit the domains explicitely like *.dev.mydomain.com using wildcards.

perhaps this suggestion could find it's way into a future update *smile*

thomas

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!