krpano HTML5 Multiresolution Preview

• I need your help please:

I have a small multires sphere with app. 14k x 7k px.
    From the same subject I also have a 100k cylindric 360° pano just from the important middle part.

Is it possible to integrate the hires cylinder into the other?
    What would I have to do?

I'd rather prefer to just load different groups of tiles over upscaling the small version over the other.

Thanks
    Jürgen

• I try to use the update tool to update to the latest multiresolution tour.js.

I do as suggested replace the krpanoiphone.js in the 1.16.7 tools folder.

If I now check it by dropping it on the update window it says 1.17 build 2013-9-11)

Also at the bottom the update tool says update to 1.17

I drop my tour.js and tour.swf and update the viewer files.

When I now check the tour.js it says 1.16.7 even if I can see on the timestamp that it has been replaced.
    If I try it in Safari with iPad as user agent I can see in my activity window that it does not use multiresolution but only my 2048 pixels level.

Hans

• Hi,

However the name of the updated tour.js is still 1.16.7 also when I download it from online and check it in the update tool.

That's only a wrong display in the update tool. In this case it reads the version number from the comment in the .js file, and there two version numbers defined - the version from the embedding script and the version of the html5 viewer and the update tool takes the first one:

For the functionally and the update itself this shouldn't matter and in the final 1.17 release, this problem should not appear anymore.

Best regards,
    Klaus

• Hi,

I am working on HTML5 multi-resolution. I loved overall performance of HTML5.
    Presently i am facing one problem for taking snapshot of krpano(HTML5).
    Can you please help me in taking snapshot of the current view of krpano(HTML5 multi-resolution).When i was working on krpano flash version, i can able to take snapshot of the current view using bitmap.
    Now i had switched to HTML5. Is there any way to take snapshot of the current view of krpano(HTML5 multi-resolution).

• 2 hours before expire..
    (in holland)
    or am i wrong... (?)

i'm sure we get a great update *thumbsup*

Tuur *thumbsup*

• ahhh yes you are right!!

*g* *g* *g* *g*

stupid me..

i get crazy of all those updates.. (IOS 7 etc)
    *wacko*

Tuur *thumbsup*

• After testing the multi resolution on my iPad 3 for a month I give up.
    It is not worth it. There are too many crashes.

It may work with simple panoramas without any hotspots, videos, sound or popups but for a tour like this one
    http://virtualdenmark.dk/dnm/kina/ it does not work. I have tested it with standard 1024 cubefaces without any problems. No crashes at all.
    However the multi resolution crashes at least 4-5 times during a full session of the tour.

Currently it has the 1.17 preview applied but I have to change it in a couple of days as it is officially linked from the National Museum.

• He Hans,

I had that experience too.
    But also simply using facebook or justnormal websites in safari on ipad3.

It seems the autorotate makes problems.

I just watch your beautifull tour and must say.. Nocrashes at all. Maybe i was lucky.
    I will try a few times tonight and tomorrrow.

Did you put any memory maxem settings? Maybe that helps.

Another option could be: use the normal 1.16.9 version and usedesktopimages ipad+retina+ ios6 ..
    That worked fine and them you have some better res on the ipad.

My experience is that it is not the problem of krpano but ios7.
    I hope very much as well that i will become more stable.

Tuur *thumbsup*

• Thank you Hans for testing this out. Always good to have someone like you trying to push these to the limits and does a thorough testing.

Beautiful tour and some of the panos would justify higher resolution.

I was a bit puzzled that the zoom function is so slow.
    I've visited your tour on my brand new MBPRO with Safari and Firefox.
    Is that by purpose?

• Thanks for testing.

I should perhaps say I am still on IOS 6.
    Often crashes come after long time without restarting the iPad.

If you empty the cache and restart the iPad it works better but it still crashes.
    Also it happens after doing full zoom in and then changing panorama especially if you change it with the thumbs or the dropdown menu while you are zoomed in.

What zoom are you using Jürgen?
    It works normal to me on my iMac using both zoom buttons and mouse.
    Both in Flash and HTML5.
    I am still on Snow Leopard.

I discovered yesterday that the key zoom is not working as Klaus has disabled that as default.
    I do not understand the reasons he gives for that. Have never had any problems with interference on Mac from other keyfunctions.

• Tested on ipad 2 ios7, no crash at all !
    I use 1.17 on all my tours without any troubles ?
    One more "heavy" with lots of hotspots, sounds... With 1.17 you can try : http://www.explornova.com

Looks to have been a lot of work.
    I have thought of making a full tour of all the Mars panos which I have published since 2004.

I did not have any crashes on it however it looks like the resolution is smaller.
    Unfortunately your xml is encrypted and I can not see the sizes.

However I can see that you have 4 levels also but the first is very small. As far as I can see the second is 512 so the largest must be only 2048.
    My level 4 is 4096.

Hans

• Hi,

regarding crashes on iOS - the main reasons here is the internal memory usage of Safari and iOS.

iOS is unfortunately very bad at this topic. In many cases the browser simply crashes or in other cases it 'steals' the memory from some tile images, which results in showing only 'black tiles'. The reason behind both effects is the same - the memory usage and bad memory management from iOS.

The retina iPads are more affected by this problem than the non-retina ones because of the 4 times of pixels and therefore also increased memory need. Additionally because of the higher retina resolution, the displayed pano image also needs to be larger to be sharp, that means more tiles need to be loaded and displayed and so on the memory need increases even more.

In the current 1.17 pre-release version there is an internally defined limit of only 50 MB for the tiles images on iOS (calculated memory need = tile-pixelwidth * tile-pixelheight * 4). Once this limit will be reached, a currently not used tile will be removed and unloaded, and if there is currently no 'not-used' tile, the viewer will automatically try to reduce the resolution by switching to a lower level and so getting more memory.

The current default 50 MB limit was determined by testing - with that setting, even an iPad 1 should be stable when running a default VTOUR with several thumbs, hotspots and the bingmaps plugin.

The total resolution of the pano itself shouldn't matter, but when there are too much elements (tiles,images,videos,sounds,...) at the same time on the screen, than at some point it will become instable.

Regarding krpano - I'm of course still trying to improve the memory need and the stability.
    And in the final 1.17 version, the size of the tile-memory-limit will be customizable by xml, so that it can be reduced for heavy tours.

Problem is that I do want to have the multi resolution on desktops but there is as far as I can see currently no way to apply the 1024 cubefaces on iPad alone.

The device settings are not working with 1.17 for cubefaces.

That's not correct - the devices settings itself are fully working - the devices settings works at 'xml-level' and is independently of the pano loading/rendering - it only 'filters' the xml to load only certain parts of the xml for certain devices.

e.g. to avoid multires on iOS, you can filter-out the <level> tags and provide normal <mobile> tags this way:

Code
    <image ...>
      <level ... devices="!ios">
      </level>
      <mobile devices="ios">
        <cube ... />
      </mobile>
    </image>

I discovered yesterday that the key zoom is not working as Klaus has disabled that as default.
    I do not understand the reasons he gives for that. Have never had any problems with interference on Mac from other keyfunctions.

There are reasons of course! *wink*

First - a short explanation how the detection of keyboard input is working:

• there are two Browser/Javascript events for detecting keyboard input:
    • a 'keydown' event which will be fired by the Browser when a key will be pressed
    • and a 'keyup' event which will be fired when a key will be released
    • so an application needs to listen to these events and track informations about all changes to be able to know which keys are currently pressed
    • not all keyboard presses were passed to the script - e.g. system- or browser-key-combinations, like CTRL+TAB, CTRL+N, CTRL+T to switch tabs or to open new windows or tabs were not passed!

now to the problem:

• when the user e.g. presses CTRL+TAB (or CMD+TAB on Mac) to change the tab, then in the most situations both keys were not pressed exactly at the same time, typically the CTRL key is pressed first and then short after that the TAB key
    • the problem here - the script gets only a keydown event for the CTRL key - when the TAB key will be pressed, the browser switches away to the new tab/window leaving the old tab alone without any additional informations or events
    • that means in this case, the script in the old tab never gets an keyup event - and so it keeps thinking the CTRL key is still pressed
    • when now switching back to the old tab, the viewer would be constantly zooming because it thinks the CTRL key is pressed and the only way to stop that zooming would be pressing the key, that is causing the zooming, again
    • there are ways to detect the leaving of the current tab/page, but they are unfortunately not working constantly across all browsers.

This 'hanging' zooming can be very annoying, especially when not knowing why this is happening and how to stop it, so I though it would be better to disable these controls by default.
    Enabling them is possible anytime of course - just add this line anywhere in the xml:

Code
    <control keycodesin="16,65,107" keycodesout="17,89,90,109" />

Best regards,
    Klaus

• That's not correct - the devices settings itself are fully working - the devices settings works at 'xml-level' and is independently of the pano loading/rendering - it only 'filters' the xml to load only certain parts of the xml for certain devices.

e.g. to avoid multires on iOS, you can filter-out the <level> tags and provide normal <mobile> tags this way:

But the above tour has a Mobile tag with devises for iPad+retina.
    <mobile devices="iPad+retina|Android+flash">
    <cube url="panos/mobile/01.tiles/ipad3_%s.jpg" />
    </mobile>

Why is that not enough. Why do I need to also filter out all the image levels.?

And why is not the hardwarelimit="1024" working? That would be a perfect way to control the memory usage for the panorama.
    Its very obvious that it is when you load all the tiles for the 4th level and then need to unload them that you get the crashes

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!