How best do you add video of person to a still pano?

• What is the best way to add a video element, such as a live presenter, to a 360 pano? I would rather not shoot green-screen since, from what I have seen, the results can look like a green screen job with imperfect masking and missing realistic shadows.

Shooting the still with a fisheye lens and the video with a rectilinear lens would present alignment issues, I fear. Shooting video with a 360 video camera, Qoocam 8K in my case, will present a resolution mismatch and possibly the same alignment issues and almost certainly a grading mismatch. Shoot 4K video with the same fisheye/camera and somehow merge that into the still pano? Maybe the projection needs to be spherical instead of cubic.

The presenter needs to freeze or preferably disappear at the end of his/her welcome while the viewer has unlimited time to look around and interact with the scene and elements like hotspots. I think that precludes using 360 video only. Use 360 video for the presentation and transition to a still pano after? I fear the transition will be rather obvious.

Oh! This also needs to work in a headset.

I am hoping someone has figured this out, actually done it, and would be willing to share a tip or two saving untold hours of experimentation.

• "Shooting the still with a fisheye lens and the video with a rectilinear lens would present alignment issues, I fear."

I've struggled to get seamlessly-embedded video clips lined up in KRPano. I achieved this more easily in 3DVista VTP, but I think my experience may still be relevant in terms of your concerns...

I found that the video clip MUST be shot with a rectilinear lens in order to fit into the scene properly. Anything shot with a fisheye lens was distorted in the final result and precise alignment was effectively impossible to achieve. I had moderate success with defishing tools in video editors but I never found anything that has the precision of a RAW photo editor. In the end I concluded that the only serious way to capture video clips for integration into a 360 photographic scene was to shoot with a rectilinear lens, regardless of lens was used to capture the 360 photo content. Just keep it on the tripod and pano head.

(Keep in mind that whatever you shoot with will be entirely reprojected as part of the equirectangular stitching process! You can shoot a pano with a rectilinear lens or a fisheye lens. The reason we typically use fisheyes is only because we get a wider angle of view for a given focal length. My 16mm fisheye captures more than my 14-24mm rectilinear lens even at 14mm.)

• Hi Keith,

Thanks for the input. I've found the discussion at 360° Panoramic Photographers on Facebook to be pretty helpful. I believe you are familiar with it?

It is still early days for my experimentation and due to Covid's resurgence, the project has been delayed until maybe spring. So the urgency isn't there.

My current experiment involves shooting everything with the fishey lens, creating a template in PTGui, and importing that into VideoStitch Studio (StitchEm). That way I shoot everything with the same lens and the video should line up perfectly with the background image. Color should match more easily as well. From there I plan to get an equirectangular projection from the spherical video and crop that to the area I want as the video hotspot, which should align perfectly.

EasyPeasy? Not in the least. At least, not yet.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!